Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsc after system goes nuts

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi,
I don't know what's causing this and could use some help.
I've got an old emachines t6212 with a newer Seagate hard drive. It's about 3 months old.
I use XP Pro w/SP2.
I was just checking my accounts online when the Logitech optical mouse highlighted sections of the screen by itself.
Then the mouse slowed down and then virtually nothing worked.
The mouse is about 2 weeks old. No model name on it but is cordless and has no recharge feature for the battery.
The most recent software addition is BoClean malware protection from Comodo.
Occasionally, over the past 5 or 6 weeks, iTunes would just start up when there was no ipod attached and no music being listened to.
Now tonight when I saw what was happening I used the on/off button to do an ermergency shutdown.
Let the pc sit for a few minutes and started it up again.
I got a blue screen showing CHKDSC running. It was checking whatever and deleted some files. I don't know which ones.
When the pc finally started again, many of my programs needed to be set up again as if I had just downloaded them.

Belarc shows SMART saying the hard drive is healthy.
So does HD Tune.
As I'm typing this I'm starting to have the same prioblem again.
I'm wondering if it could be the mouse.
The little green indicator light underneath it keeps going off. But if that's it why would it be hightlighting as if I were going to paste and copy.
Hope somebody can help with this.
If I lose all of my wife's songs it's going to hurt me far worse than her.
Thanks.
J.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Keith,
Thanks for your help.
No Malware was found. Just 3 cookies from shopping sites.
I don't know what the cause of the problem is/was but it's working ok now.
If I have more trouble in the future I'll run all the scans again and use Hijack This and send them to you.
Thanks.
J.