Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New theme

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi, I'm planning to change my computer's theme to one of the following. Can anyone tell me whether this might be a stupid idea & if any has had experience with the themes was it good or bad? I think my computers specification is good enough to go without any increased response time or anything.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I haven't used those particular themes but I have used similar ones from other websites which transform the whole desktop. I no longer use them and prefer to stick with official, admittedly boring MS themes, but then I'm not a gamer and I'm more interested in what I can achieve on my PC than what the OS looks like.

They can and do cause problems even if your PC has plenty of muscle. Things like making Windows more unstable, conflicts with other software, even minor but irritating glitches that you didn't have before installing the theme. So I decided to steer clear of them and advise you do the same. But if you can't resist trying it, do make a full backup image of your current Windows installation first (including all your own files) in case it messes everything up.

Edited by pip22, 06 May 2007 - 01:42 AM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

but then I'm not a gamer and I'm more interested in what I can achieve on my PC than what the OS looks like.

I'm sorry what exactly does being a gamer have to do with the XP theme?
Also, the thing is, I love the theme, I really do & also Alienware installs & applies it to every new pc they ship out, or they used to until Vista came by since the themes are not compatible with Vista. My machine is rather old & at the time of purchase these themes didn't exist. So, a 100% definite answer is not to install the theme or any other 3rd party themes?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Ultimately, that decision is up to you. Pip22 simply pointed out that 3rd party themes have been the source of problems reported on these boards. Just remember that installing such a theme is not guaranteed to be trouble free. I would suggest that you have solid backup in place in case you need it. Create a system restore point before installing. Create a Registry backup with ERUNT before installing: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
ERUNT Tutorial: http://www.larsheder...erunt/erunt.txt With those two resources in place you should be able to "go back" if any problem occurs.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Ultimately, that decision is up to you. Pip22 simply pointed out that 3rd party themes have been the source of problems reported on these boards

Agreed, although i've never had any. I have used AlienGUIs and never saw any problems except system slowdown, of course my machine isn't very powerful so.... I've also used trial of Windows Blinds, that slowed down even more my system. What i wouldn't recommend is VTP or VCP, those can SERIOUSLY screw up your system if you reboot or something happens while your installing the package or uninstalling it. Currently i have a patched uxtheme.dll and using custom created MSStyles, I recommend VistaXP, it's very nice, so nice Microsoft banned it.

-OCM770-

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
What is VTP & VCP?