Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% cpu usage, really slow, help?

• Please log in to reply

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello all,

I have an acer notebook that pegs at 100% usage and stays there for several minutes. A lot of times it seems to be triggered by starting a video online ie YouTube etc, but not always. I use firefox almost exclusively, with only a very rare exception of using IE. Another time the issue really seems to come up is when I try to browse a flash site while I am working with my work from home phone software. Maybe java issues? I recently restored the factory defaults with the restore discs and reinstalled the core applications, but the issue is persisting. Usually there will be a quick ramp up of cycles and will peg at 100% . I use the cpu monitor on Windows Task Manager to watch this. Many times i just have to end an application from the task manager, but even that doesn't always help. Most of the time i will have to wait for a few minutes and the cpu cycles will drop down on their own.

i went through the malware removal instructions and followed them carefully; there were some tracking cookies and some instances of spy/adware present. i will post the logs below. i used adaware to remove the spyware detected by Panda and then ran spybot. i have now run 4 different spyware programs and the panda scan. The problem is persisting.

NOTE: as i was writing this, it happened again. i started when I id a search for the log file for ad-aware. i stopped the search, but the cpu usage is going wild. it is jumping from 25 to 100% with no apparent rhyme or reason. It is now hovering in the 80%-90% range. What is going on?!?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I will post the logfiles from the malware tests if needed.

THANK YOU!!!

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certen that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwize we may be wasting our time.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions things to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok... I did the malware instructions and posted over there earlier, but haven't gotten a response yet (it has only been a couple hours though... I can certainly be patient if need be...). I posted here because it seemed like a more likely problem for this forum. Should I wait or can we continue?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It may take them a while to respond.

Please give them up to 3 days to respond.

Please Post Here

Edit: Fixed a BB code error.

Edited by tuxmaster, 05 May 2007 - 07:55 PM.

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK! I'm certified malware free! :blink: You can check out the other thread here if you'd like -
http://www.geekstogo...lp-t157462.html

I'm still experiencing the cpu issue. My hunch is that it may be a java/flash thing. I run some software to connect to the office when I'm working from home, and I'm thinking it may be a conflict there somehow, although I've been running that software for over a year without problems. I don't know, I guess that's why I'm posting here! :whistling: Again, it really does seem to show up most when I'm dealing with a video or other media file, especially if I'm on youtube or playing a flash game online.

Thanks for your help, and please let me know how to proceed from here...

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
OK good to know thanks for reporting back.

your 100% CPU usage is it all the time?

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL go to processes click on CPU on the header to sort by CPU ussage what are the highest running processes?

IF you want you can go to view>update speed> paused

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no, its not all the time. most of the time it happens when i start a video or something media related. the highest running process is usually firefox...

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok... I just started a video on superdeluxe.com.

the video loaded and after about 1 min, the computer started bogging down dramatically, to the point where the mouse was moving very choppily. the three biggest users right now are firefox at 35% , System at 29% and tskmgr.exe at 14%. the rest of the cycles are spread out amongst the other programs. The percentages will fluctuate wildly, with firefox sometimes going as high as 60%, and many times the System sits at a pretty consistent 28-33%

now whats happening is also common. after about 5-10 min of being at 100%, the computer will "figure it out" and go back to relatively normal operation. Right now the computer is sitting at a very reasonable 8-15%. I have three tabs open in firefox currently - Superdeluxe.com, with no video playing, youtube.com with no video playing and geekstogo.com. There are no other programs running other than those in the system tray.

OF course, I just tried it again and started a new video, with predictably the same results. Firefox seems to hog more when the video is starting, which makes sense, then fluctuates as time goes on.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are these usually flash video sites Like Youtube.

If so please uninstall Flash and reinstall it. See if that helps.

Also what version of Firefox are you using.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
If you uninstall flash use their uninstall site only.

http://www.adobe.com...cfm?id=tn_14157

http://www.adobe.com...=ShockwaveFlash

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I installed and reinstalled flash, still having the issue. I'm using version 2.0.0.3 of firefox

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks possible to me that one of your programs is trying to update itself or one of your antimalware orograms is running a scan.

1: After restart let the computer idle for about 5 minutes. Open task manager and let it "cool down" for about 30 seconds. What is cpu usage percentage under this condition.

2: Remove and re-install firefox. Repeat the processes in parag. 1.

2: Turn off your router. Disable automatic updates of windows, quicktime, Adobe and other automatically updatable programs. Disable Antivirus and other real time protection programs. Is tghere any difference?

Re-enable automatic updates and antimalware programs after the test.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
How to reduce memory usage.

Have a look.

http://howto.helpero...ry-Usage_4.html

hoopsnie

hoopsnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks all. im traveling at the moment and wont have a chance to sit down and get some work done on this for a day or two. i wil update when I can.

THANKS!