Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Idiot friend messed my computer up

• Please log in to reply

helpmeplease123

helpmeplease123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, So my friend was over at my house and he was trying to prove how "1337" he was or whatever and he opened up the command prompt and typed net user and then he changed my password. I looked at the settings for my account and it says it has administrator rights, however when I try to open up a file on my desktop it says that I do not have the right to do so. But I can open up files from the start menu and my documents etc. I have no idea what could have caused such a interesting problem but hopefully one of you guys has an answer. :blink: :whistling: :help:

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Ask your idiot friend what he changed....consider changing friends.

http://ask-leo.com/h...windows_xp.html

http://www.playtool....ghts/admin.html

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
system restore to before the friend messed with it

helpmeplease123

helpmeplease123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ahh ok now I have an even bigger problem. For some reason Im not even able to log onto my computer. It wont accept my password even though I know for sure the new password that is set and I even tried the old password. Is there any easy way or way at all where I can log in to my account without knowing the password?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Tell your 1337 buddy to reverse what he did or reinstall the operating system. That's all the help you can be provided dealing with passwords here.

helpmeplease123

helpmeplease123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If he can reverse it, surely someone else also knows how to do it, because he doesn't quite know what he was doing, and can't change it back.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Please understand that while in all likelyhood your situation is exactly as you have described, we have no way to determine that this isn't another "Help! I've just stolen this laptop and can't break the password!" request. We can not assist in defeating system passwords on Geeks to Go.