Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Save as" dialogue

• Please log in to reply

deepkent

deepkent

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I save a file I have changed, using "Save As", I get no warning if the original would be overwritten. This does not happen in every program, but it started in Paintshop Pro 7 and in PSP 9, I checked a few other programs, and it happens also in MS Word 2000. Excel and Publisher seem ok; I haven't checked every program on my computer. The dialogue worked as it should yesterday; all I have done today is copy .jpg files from two microdrives from my camera. I have edited them in PSP, but not in Word. If anyone can help or suggest where I could look, I would be grateful. Thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use save as it saves a separate file, leaving the original as it is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
assuming you use a different file name, you should get a warning if you try to save a file with the same name

deepkent

deepkent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for a quick answer, Keith, but that isn't what PSP used to do. If I edit a picture, then slect "Save As" and choose the same file name, it should ask me whether I want to overwrite the existing file. Least, that's what it's always done up to now. Same thing with Word. It's just stopped doing it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it was just one of them you could run detect and repair in office a long shot is to check the system files, insert XP CD then cancel when loaded, click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter and it will replace missing or corrupt ones.

Have a go with Panda active scan

Panda

See if photoshop tech support know anything