Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall question.

• Please log in to reply

Madridbear

Madridbear

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I only use the standard windows firewall at the moment, i do however use AVG pro anti-virus as well as super-antispyware pro.
I have avg anti spyware pro and ad-aware pro , also spyware doctor and I run spybot twice a week.

I hate having a firewall like zone alarm annoying me every time i conect to the internet and causing havoc with my bit-torrents etc.

Is the windows firewall enough or is there a decent firewall that wont bug me for trivial things or do I NEED a good firewall and just need to put up with the initial questioning every time i use the net for the first while ?

All thoughts appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Madridbear,

I moved your thread to Tech Discussion, as it really didn't belong in the Random Discussion.

Yes, you do need a different firewall than the Windows firewall, which only blocks outgoing ports. You should have something that will block incoming ports to protect you against attacks from the internet, and you really should have something that gives you the ability to block or allow ports and programs as needed.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
As sari says, you should have a firewall, and hopefully you are only using bittorrent for legal purposes.

With most firewalls, there is a check box that says "Don't ask me again about this program" or "Create rule to allow this program permanently". If you use that feature properly, you wont be bothered all the time. You allow it once and the program remembers it. That is if you get a good program.

I recommend Comodo - http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/ It comes very highly recommended around here and its completely free. If nothing else, at least it doesn't cost you anything to try it out.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're downloading torrents as you've said...you DEFFINITELY need a firewall and VERY well configured and frequently updated AV and antimalware software....by downloading torrents and P2P type things...you open a huge door into your computer that anyone can walk through..

Madridbear

Madridbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Madridbear,

I moved your thread to Tech Discussion, as it really didn't belong in the Random Discussion.

Yes, you do need a different firewall than the Windows firewall, which only blocks outgoing ports. You should have something that will block incoming ports to protect you against attacks from the internet, and you really should have something that gives you the ability to block or allow ports and programs as needed.

No problem, I didn't quite know where to put the thread.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I'll give comodo a try.

I am quite anal with my scans and have 5 different anti-spyware/malware programs I run on a daily basis, I also use AVG pro anti-virus and run a virus scan every day or so too.