Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Quick WinDVD questions for everyone

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Downloaded the trial version of WinDVD 8 Platinum and for sheer quality of the DVD playback it can't be beaten and wipes the floor with Power DVD for e.g.

Niggle no 1:

I have two DVD drives - Writer and Rom - I clicked the 'default' drive button in WinDVD instead of E:\ & F:\ but it seems that no matter what disc i put into the Writer WinDVD automatically starts and i have to wait about 25 seconds whilst it reads the disc before i can 'x' out of it. This also happens as soon as i click on the desktop shortcut, it opens up WinDVD and we go through the same process as before. I have changed 'Default' to both E:\ and F:\ but makes no differance.

Niggle no 2:

When i had Power DVD it was set to auto start the disc as soon as it detected a DVD movie disc etc was inserted but i can't find where in the program you can turn this on with WinDVD, as mentioned it starts the program but you have to manually start the disc playing

Niggle 2 is only a very minor query its Niggle 1 that is driving me insane, if i cant find out the cure it will have to go off my machine - fantastic playback or not - because i cant have it opening up every time i put a data disc or anything into a drive.

As i mentioned not happy with Power DVD to be honest, I have always though the playback seemed grainy comapred to WinDVD so does anybody know of any other DVD playback software which has top class playback to rival WinDVD?? Gom for instance?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Niggle 2: see this MS link. I think your autorun is disabled. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155217

Niggle 1: try going into device manager and disabling one of the dvd drives and see how Win DVD responds.

Both of these issues could also be caused by the fact that it is a "trial" software.

I own WinDVD 8 Platninum. Haven't experienced any of these issues. I agree that it is better than Power DVD. Overall I am very pleased with this application.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks Starjax for the swift reply

I think my autorun is working ok because PowerDVD just recently used to open the DVD and start the playback, I have also bought DVDIdle Pro to protect my region changes amongst other reasons on the Roms and it too, auto starts along with Power DVD and straight into the Movie, will try to disable one of the drives and reinstall the program.