Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window file protection

• Please log in to reply

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I Did a disk cleanup and right when the cleanup was about done, i got a popup that says: "Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore\the original versions of these files." When i try and place the disk that i received with my pc, it is rejected and tells me that the Cd is wrong and i need to install my other disk. It just never says WHAT disk i am suppose to use. And, since this is the cd i have used twice before to do a system restore, i dunno why the pc is rejecting it now. I have run anti virus and spyware checks and nothing comes up. IF i try to click off the windows file protection popup it tells me that if i chose not to restore the orginial files, this may affect windows stability. Am i sure that i want to keep the unrecognised file versions? Can someone help me? And i should i just do an entire system restore...again. THANKS!!! Cree

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
system recovery disks rarely actually work for that file protection deal...IF you can get your hands on an actual windows disk of the same kind that's on your computer (xp home or xp pro) then you should be able to use that to replace said windows files...else you can cancel that message if you're not noticing any issues with your computer...sometimes drivers or software that you install will modify certain windows files so that they can function a little better....and windows doesn't like it...of course it could also be an actual problem...so...my suggestion would be to try to find a windows disk if y ou can

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Where would i get a windows disk? I have the windows XP home edition. My PC seems to be acting normal, i am just leary about clicking off the popup and having something go wrong with my pc. A friend suggested that i just do a total system restore, since doing the restore would replace whatever files were missing? Would that be a good idea, since i am pc stupid. thanks, Cree

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...depends on what he means by system restore...if you mean the windows system restore...then that depends on when the files got changed...if you mean do a restore with your restore disks...that would stop the message...but it would also put your computer back to the way you bought it...thereby getting rid of any software or files you've added since...if you wanna do this...that's ok...

do you have any friends that might have an XP home disk?