Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is the best TFT monitior to buy?

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I am in the process of buying a 17" TFT monitor for my PC. I am having some trouble deciding what make is the best one to buy? Any suggestions what be welcomed. Thanks.

I am looking for picture quality, durability, and reliability when deciding which one is best.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What's your budget.

If you don't know how to look for LCD's I'll list a couple of things to look for.
-Constrast ratio is recommended to be 1000:1 or better although if your not watching movies, playing games or photo/video editing lower is fine and you'll never notice a difference.
-Viewing angle 160/160 or better. I recommend at least 170/170, though these are usually more money.
-Responce time of 5ms with GTG (grey to grey) mesurement, again if you don't game or watch movies you can get whatever responce time you like, you'll never notice the difference.
-Go to your local computer shop and decided what brightness you like, it ranges from 250nits all the way up to 350, may even go higher though I have never seen it. Normaly the higher the better because you can make it dimmer and therefor adjust it to your preference. I personally like 250nits as I work on the computer with the lights off normally, but the next guy might like 300nits.

Good monitor brands, Samsung, LG, acer, Dell to name a few.

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 May 2007 - 09:56 AM.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks. I have decided to go with a Benq monitor as the specifications were just as good as the Samsung I saw, and I have heard that Benq has a good reputation.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yup, hope you enjoy your investment.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I couple of my friends have Viewsonics and Sceptres and I like them a lot.