Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows Explorer has encounted a problem"

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok so I patched the uxtheme.dll from this website. Applied the Alienware theme through AlienGUIse & was running the computer without any problems. Then I burnt a DVD using MyDVD in Roxio Easy Media Creater 9 & tried to play the DVD after it had finished burning. The computer froze after a few minutes of the DVD having being played, played it through PowerDVD. Nothing was responding, no mouse cursor, keyboard was non-responsive, I removed the DVD & the computer didn't return to a working state so I had no choice but to click the reset button to force a restart. Did that, and from that restart onwards I kept getting this error message (I've attached a screenshot of it)
This comes as the computer boots up, by that I mean even before the desktop can load the error is already on the screen.
First I reverted back to the default XP theme to see if that would help, no luck with that.
Then I unpatched the uxtheme.dll through the Recovery Console which can be accessed by booting up with the Windows XP CD, that didn't prove to work either.
I had created a system restore point *before* patching the uxtheme.dll file so I restored my computer to that point, didn't solve it.
The last program I had installed was Roxio Easy Media Creater 9 so I uninstalled that & the error went off.
Since my compuer was back to normal I re-applied the Alienware theme & my computer had been working fine until Windows Update installed a new update on my machine just now while I was not at the computer (this happend automatically cause of the setting I have set), the update was "Software Distribution Service 2.0". After this got installed & my computer restarted to complete the update, the error started again. I went to System Restore and restored my computer to the system restore point that was created & named "Software Distribution Service 2.0" which I assumed was made automatically before the update was installed. After system restore finished restoring my computer, the computer restarted for this to finish & when the computer booted up the first screen that was there was the system restore info window giving me details of how to undo the system restore etc. but on top of that was the error message. This is before anything loads up.
I've attached another screenshot of what my start up items are, that is being shown through WinPatrol. However, after booting up & me clicking "close" on the error message, if I log off & log back in I don't get any error. Anyone know what's going on or how to fix it?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG
  • untitled2.JPG

Edited by manu08, 09 May 2007 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
So I was told on another forum to disable the 'themes' service so that it can be ruled out as being the cause of the error. The error didn't quite get resolved. After disabling the 'themes' service when I restarted the machine, the error did not come. However, after that I had a power cut & my computer switched off (I wasn't at home & the UPS ran out of battery) & once the power came back & the computer booted up, the error was back. I checked the 'themes' service & that is still disabled. Also, occasionally, not every time but sometimes after the Windows Explorer error I get the following error as well, how do I fix this?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled3.JPG