Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Process Eating my CPU

• Please log in to reply

toebash24

toebash24

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
All of a sudden, my CPU usage was 100%. Immediately, i thought this was a malware issue, but it turned out that it was actually a system process that was making my computer run like a piece of crap. I looked into it more and its something called the Search Indexer. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this thing is? I disabled it and my computer went back to normal, however is there a way to run it and tweak the settings so its not killing my computer's CPU? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!!

Screens:
Running Processes
Resource Monitor

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
It looks to me like it's index service that's eating your clock cycles. I am not a Visa expert (still haven't gotten it), but in XP turning off indexing helps reduce overhead. IN XP to turn this off go into the properties of your drive, and uncheck the Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching.

I would advise you to make that change (hopefully it's in the same location in Vista).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
bobmad he has already disabled it.
The purpose of the process that you disabled is so that when you need to search for a file it'll be instantaneously show the results. In other words, now your searches are going to take longer to process and find the informatino, that's all, nothing serious.
James

toebash24

toebash24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yea but is there any way of making it so i dont have to have it disabled? So that it wont hog my CPU because it just started doing it

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It should only be periodically that it happens, not consistently. Enable it and leave your computer load for one hour, then see if it's better afterwards. If not then you may be just making the requirements for vista and will probably have to have it disabled, in reality though, it's no loss not having it on.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 May 2007 - 02:31 PM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
james_8970 is correct about that service. Where I work we have about 20workstations and 1 server. I have that service running on 2 machines only, the server and the laptop of our head of engineering.

We run searches frequently on the server as part of its primary function. The other machine is run by a user that is constantly referencing older projects or other peoples work.

Unless you search often, many times a day, you will not miss this service.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
like explained above, your computer will only be slowed down sometimes like when the service is indexing new files. I always disable it and my searches don't take very long so I think you should be alright without it.

toebash24

toebash24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok awesome thanks for the info!