Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of registry

• Please log in to reply

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

In trying to fix an issue today I needed to run sfc /scannow - this raised an issue in that windows is trying to read drive E for the CD rom drive and this is infact on F.

Simple you'd think - pop into the registry and change the default value from E to F - Nope, Even though all of the permissions in the reg are correct - upon restart the settings revert back. I've run the reg editor in tune up utilities and this shows that the registry is write protected. (I'm aware that this is probably caused by some security software somewhere on my pc - but can't think what may have done this. I'm up to date with all of my antispyware and am thorough enough to be confident that this isn't a spyware infection.

I had a little brainwave in that I realised that it would be possible to reassign drive letters to get around the issue - Nope! - locked out of this also with the message "windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume" - interestingly the drive in question is neither of the things suggested!

Any ideas anyone?

Exparis
:whistling:

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you check in the Security polices on the computer to check if anything is wrong?

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

I'm not really sure what you mean. Security centre reports no issues. Regedit doesn't show any issue with permissions either. I only know that the registry is write protected because Tune-Up's Registry editor shows the whole thing as 'write protected' - I am the only admisistrator on the network so - i'm unsure what's happened to lock me out of the registry. I think i'm going to gibe this a go in safe mode and see how I go. I'l let you know either way as i'm wanting to get this sorted asap. I don't like being locked out of my own system and I use the regedit a lot! (I use mine to provide support on forums) - this one included!

Anyway, I hope you can help and that i've not just completely missed the point you were making

Exparis

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I was more talking about Group policies by going into start> run > gpedit.msc. And makeing shure that you do not have a setting that locks an administrator out of the regestry.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I see. That would only apply if I was using XP Pro - I'm using home Ed. I've done a repair install of XP and sorted the issue now. Thanks for your efforts though.

Exparis