Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

folder problems?

• Please log in to reply

-zin-

-zin-

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hello all, im having a porblem with one of my folders.
i wanted to rename it, but it says its being used by another peson or program, so i thought i just move everything out of there and delete it, but it says the same thing.
i scanned it for viruses, and nothing, i checked and there on folder and two files it says, but the only thing i see is a folder.
any help would be great :whistling:

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you restart?

Try disabling everything in msconfig by going to start > run > type in msconfig press enter click diagnostic startup.

Then try renaming

go into start > run > msconfig press enter
select normal startup after you are finished.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a better optioin than using the MSCONFIG method would be to just start in safe mode and try to rename the folder there

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?.

-zin-

-zin-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the help, but the diagnostic start up worked. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wasn't saying that it wouldn't work....but if you use the MSCONFIG option incorrectly you could cause some issues with your computer...safe mode is much...well safer

-zin-

-zin-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i already know what to do and not to do, i just thought someone would know the problem i was having :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
NOt without knowing what you have already done?

What errors egzact errors you are gettings?

We are computer Doctors just like a doctor can not make a correct diagnosis without knowing all the information nither can we.

-zin-

-zin-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
um, it was in my original post O.o
it said can't rename ( delete) because it's being used by another person or program?
so what else do you want, i gave you all the information you need cause thats all i know >>
either way, its done, i deleted the folder...
and now i think dr.watson is on my computer cause when i try to go into my computer it shuts off with the "windows has encountered a problem" message, then the same thing, but with the "Dr.watson post mortom" thing...