Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

tankertons20

tankertons20

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay I'm wanting to check memory, and the battery. Are there any good programs I could use? It's for a few laptops.Thanks for any insight that you could give me.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can check memory with this free utility: http://www.memtest.org/ Read all the stuff on the site for guidance on how to use it. You can download either an ISO file with which to create a bootable CD to run the test, or a small 'zip' file from which you can create a bootable floppy (the zip includes a readme file for instructions).

For testing a laptop battery I don't know of any such utility, but the health of the battery can be determined by first checking too see how much running time your battery should give you in it's present state (there should be a power utility installed on your laptop telling you this -- sometimes it's a battery icon in the system tray). Unplug your laptop from the mains and see how long it lasts on battery power. If it 'dies' much sooner than you were told, the battery is going to have to be replaced as it is coming to the end of it's life.

Edited by pip22, 12 May 2007 - 06:38 AM.

tankertons20

tankertons20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thanks for the help i really appreciate it.