Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird problem: Clock resetting itself

• Please log in to reply

Arokthis

Arokthis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I keep the clocks in my bedroom set 10 minutes fast so I don't miss the bus. I also try to keep the one on my computer ahead, but it keeps resetting itself to the correct time. Any idea why? Any idea how to keep it from recurring?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your computer is set by default to automatically synch it's time with an internet time server (time.microsoft probably)...so if you've got an "always on" type of connection...like cable or DSL..then your clock will see that it's off (based on the timezone) and fix itself

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you wish to prevent the time synchonization, the option is available from the Control Panel "Date and Time" applet.
Once Date and Time opens, select the tab labeled Internet Time, and uncheck the box marked "Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server." After doing so your clock will stay set to the "wrong" time that you desire.

Arokthis

Arokthis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks.
With that problem solved, I now have another one that is much more annoying:

Whenever I spend a bunch of time on YouTube, my computer freezes up. I can't open any new IE windows, my Start Menu only shows the stuff above the Programs area (Stuff I have put there.), and the only way to deal with the problem is to restart by hitting contol-alt-delete and seelcting shut down.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
You should start a new thread about this problem. I suggest more details, any error codes, and full specs of your system.

justme2011

justme2011

• Pip
  • 2 posts
about every 2 weeks my clock resets for western time, i always have to reset it....why is it doing this?

justme2011

justme2011

• Pip
  • 2 posts
about every 2 weeks my clock resets for western time,i live in eastern timezone, i always have to reset it....why is it doing this?