Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom PC problems.

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

I'm having some troubles with my new PC that I have basically custom built besides
the hard drive ,CPU and disk drive. But anyways I've installed the new MoBo and power
supply in our new case and I plug in my PC and I try to press the power button and it
will not do anything, then about 10-15 sec later the pc will just turn on and do nothing.
No screen comes up on the monitor or anything! The fans run in the PC and thats it.
Everything I double checked and is all properly installed and plugged in. I'm out of ideas
and need some help.

Much appreciated ,

Snippy

Edited by Snippy, 12 May 2007 - 05:36 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Could you give me a link to your PSU? Sounds like it can't provide enough juice.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hey,

I've just bought this brand new 550W PSU , http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1079

And i'm also having new troubles with my current PC, When I go in-game my frames are terrible , and then I check my CPU usage and its
@ 100%. I think I'm going to call and get that replaced with a new one since I have a 3year warrenty.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
did you check to make sure all the proper pins are plugged into the motherboarod with the 20+ and 4+ power pins and any other needed power ports on your mobo? It seems like your builting a machine that will be demanding some power but 550W should be sufficiant

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Yeah I checked everything, it's all hooked in correctly.

Edited by Snippy, 12 May 2007 - 01:40 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you have onboard video? If so try that. If not could you find a friend that'll let you try his to rule out the graphics card.
Do you have another PCI-E slot if so switch it to see if the slot went bad. I'm thinking your card might be bad....
Do you have a spare monitor that you could test to rule out the monitor.
That PSU should have sufficient power.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
The monitor is good and the card is also good, I believe it's a defective
mother Board thats causing my problems.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
it very well could be as your other trials have not produced a problem yet. i would contact the motherboard company and ask for a replacement or an RMA to the company where you purchased the product.

Edited by soxrok, 13 May 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hey,

Yeah thats what I'm gonna do tommorow , call the mobo maker and then send it back for a replacement.

Edited by Snippy, 13 May 2007 - 05:50 PM.