Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new PC.

• Please log in to reply

RelentlessImp

RelentlessImp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help, James. I'll definitely be changing out the PSU for one that can work with a card that requires an 8-pin connector (one thing I overlooked). Goodnight and sleep tight, and such.

As for the micro ATX board, I'm beginning to wonder if they (those saying they fit an 8800 in) didn't somehow fit a full ATX into the gaming cube case, though their specs all point to a LGA 775 microATX board. I think I'm going to chance it, however; if not I can get a new mobo and case, rather than changing all of my designs completely at first bat.

Edit: And thank you Titan for the motherboard suggestion.

Edited by RelentlessImp, 12 May 2007 - 11:31 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
In my opinion I would stick with an nvidia 8800gtx. I have seen many reviews / benchmarks of the ati 2900 XTX and it didnt really meet up to the "expectations" so to say...

Alot of the tested 2900 series cards are early production cards but it seems that the GDDR4 memory really isnt helping out the card for some reason.

I would definately wait until the Final Released cards have been out and tested for benchmarks before I bought an ati 2900 xtx.

The benchmarks I have seen between the 8800gtx and the ati 2900 xtx showed the nvidia 8800 gtx the overall better FPS not sure on the Image quailty since this card is still so new..

The 8800 gtx has awesome image quailty already that would be hard to beat..

The ati 2900 xtx is faster than the nvidia 8800 GTS though..

Edited by jrm20, 13 May 2007 - 04:24 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a note there is no such product called the 2900XTX that's out, they are having nothing but troubles with the memory. The 2900XTX card will have DDR4 memory if it's ever released, but the current card the 2900XT only has DDR3. The daily tech article was a fake, they even admitted they didn't have a 2900XTX a week after the article was published.

The HD 2900XT was released to compete against the GTS models, ATI is digging themselves a bit of a hole right now, since this card was released 6 months late. Also we don't really know what we are getting ourselves into till we see DX10 benchmarks. That might not be till the fall though.

It depends, if you plan on over clocking the card then the performance/$ is pretty good. Only if you plan on overclocking it though since it's default specs fall short but then it's priced accordingly. Overall though this card was over hyped. If you have the money for a 8800GTX go for it as nothing on the market can beat it at the moment. Also no one is planning on releasing anything till October so you'll have bragging rights for a while.
They'd have to clarify on what 8800 card they are talking about, the GTS is smaller then the GTX.

Before you make your decision though I recommend you wait for more mature drivers to be released. Wait till mid June if you can. Also what is your price range for a video card?
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 May 2007 - 08:38 AM.