Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with formatting drive

• Please log in to reply

vigelante

vigelante

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey all.

i want to sell my laptop but before i do i want to remove all my files and preferences before i do.

trouble is that i have some how 'misplaced' my XP CD (dumb of me).

so i was wondering if there is any way to format the drive without needing the disk?
if not is there any easy way that i can remove all my stuff?

im not sure what other information you will need from me to answer this, i am fairly useless with more advanced computer usage. please let me know what the deal is.

thanks guys

Advertisements

cruz07

cruz07

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Download and boot from cd, the ultimate boot cd just google it, its an awesome program

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will do that as well if you do not need the other programmes on UBCD

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you need to have windows installed on your computer when you sell it or do you plan to sell it formated, no windows no nothing? If you plan to sell it without the operating system then go ahead with what suggested in the previous post. If you have to keep windows on then you need a different approach. Please let us know.

vigelante

vigelante

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is there any way i can keep the drivers and all that kind of useful stuff on the computer?

i pretty much want to give the buyer a laptop that is like it was new and ready to run.

(if these are dumb questions let me know)

*EDIT*
yeah i do want to have windows xp loaded. and if possible i want to have anything else that might come with a new computer. just to make it easier for them.

Edited by vigelante, 14 May 2007 - 06:20 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any software CD's

vigelante

vigelante

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
not for this computer.
i (think) i have the CD's for my desktop PC but im not sure.
somehow the box that i kept all the stuff relating to the laptop got lost and i havent been able to find it

Edited by vigelante, 14 May 2007 - 07:26 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at the laptop manufacturer's site, some provide downloads for software, if this is the case you can use a same version XP CD with the laptop product key to clean install

If not, you can use Tune Up shredder to overwrite the files ( you can set it to overwrite 7 times or more)

http://www.tune-up.com/

Delete user accounts

vigelante

vigelante

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks.
im at work now but i know that on the bottom of the laptop there is a holographic sticker with a whole bunch of numbers.
would this be the product key by any chance?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is a 25 character alpha numeric code, yes, another clue is product key on the sticker :whistling:

vigelante

vigelante

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
An Excellent point.

i tried to look for the manufacturers website but i cant find the correct one.
my laptop says 'EXCEL' on it but im not entirely sure if that is subsidary or something like that...
do you have an idea where to look?

sorry about all these relatively foolish questions

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition, click the + next to computer then summary, look on the right for details, hopefully it will have the make and model

It will show the various drivers, most of which should be downloadable

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

With any programmes, most will be downloadable but you need to find and make a note of the product key for those if you go the format route

Using Tune Up shredder to overwrite the unwanted files would likely do

vigelante

vigelante

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the help. i will try them out asap.