Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

change MTU settings

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting my XBOX 360 to the internet through my laptop. It fails on the MTU test, and tells me to change the settings, but so far, I've had no luck in finding out how to do this!

Help! Coz I am now going mad.

Tom Witcomb

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out Page 33 in the user manual. You can download the manual from the Belkin homepage if you no longer have it.

Fenor

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
yeah, it says don't do it! lol

It doesn't actually give you ANY info on how to change it should you need to. I have contacted Belkin, but they haven't gotten back to me. Was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to help!?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I couldn't find any way to change the MTU setting on your router itself. Only thing you can do is wait for a response from Belkin. Hopefully it's possible, because for the XBox 360 you need to set the MTU between 1364 and 1492. I would set it to 1492 when you are able to change it.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Might have found it....

In the address bar of your browser, type http://192.168.2.1 and
click “Go”. You will be directed to the Router’s home page. Click
on “Connection Type” in the left-hand column under “Internet
WAN” heading.

What type of Connection Type is listed? Also, do you see a MTU setting listed on the screen?

Fenor

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
It's a dynamic connection, but I set myself up with a static IP. There is no setting to change the MTU that I can see...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Here is a list of x box live compatable routers: http://www.xbox.com/...g/equipment.htm.

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
It's not a question of compatibility. My house mate in the room next to me runs XBOX live through his computer fine, using the same router as I'm trying to use...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would start over using THIS GUIDE, and see how things go from there.

Fenor

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I had a problem awhile back and changed my tcp receive window. I think you can change that MTU setting but you have to download a utility to do it. I'm really getting tired and have to get some sleep but I think this is what you need. I'll look at it closer in the morning:

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If you had a linksys wrt router you could dump the manufacturer firmware and go with hyperwryt's firmware here.

You can also try CableNut , or TCP Optimizer

or you can try it out the MS way. <---- I have never tried that i just found it through google

PS... if your routers MTU- isn't set the same then changing your laptops NIC isn't going to help a bit :whistling:

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 16 May 2007 - 06:10 AM.

Lovindiva

Lovindiva

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have read all this information here but I am not understanding of how to change the MTU setting. I am not able to get the Xbox 360 live. Please can someone help me. I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 and I have DSL.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Lovindiva

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over 2 years old will probably not get you any assistance. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

sadrilover

sadrilover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i figured this out, and i wanted to post it here in case anyone else searches for the same thing i did to find this topic.

to fix it, all you have to do is disconnect everything that connects to your router and modem (wirelessly or through ethernet) simplest way is to airplane mode it or just turn it off.

after that, completely turn off both your router and modem, wait a few seconds, turn it back on. your xbox will connect fine again, as well as everything else. honestly, its usualy caused by a power surge our outage

sadril