Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with personal web site (currently in dev)

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi

I'm making a website, and I am hoping to consolidate my ebay, myspace, facebook, as well as some other personal information. I want it so that it will display my friends from both myspace and facebook, as well as a consolidated comment area.

Im assuming u would use forms to do this, but the main thing i want, is when u go to either my myspace, or my facebook, it redirects u to my new homepage.

I have a decent understanding of CSS and HTML, but i dont know any java and other slightly more complicated codes. I dont know if this would be a good time to learn them. And from what ive read the best way to do this is to stick redirct{myurl} somewhere on my page (something im not familiar with, and i highly doubt myspace would utilize this).

Im being pretty vague because my domain isnt hosted yet. If i cant do any of these things, it seems kindof pointless to even make the site. Im just sick of how crappily coded myspace is, such that i can barely manipulate it. I MEAN THE TABLES ARENT EVEN ALIGNED ITS STUPID. I hate that people use it, and its constantly compromised. I would rather just stop using myspace altogether, but so many of my friends are on it, I dont really have a choice.

Currently, i have the basic page layout scripted for my homepage, but i thought before i got to into it, i would run it by some people who have a better understanding of stuff like this. Im using aptana IDE which seems to work very well for simple html and css, but i am aware that it has tremendous potential for java and ajax and alot of stuff i dont really grasp. However, web development is something im really interested in, so if this is very daunting im not afraid to take on some of this so that i can learn as much as possible.

MY BEST EXPLANATION OF WHAT I WANT:
  • a single page that consolidates all of my friends from both facebook and myspace (two seperate lists on one page would also work, or i could just manually put in links, but i was hoping that as my friends changed their default pic, it would be updated on my site as well.)
  • a place where people could add comments. (this seems more feasable, but if i could somehow connect it facebook and myspace, that would be nice)
  • my current items for sale on ebay, as well as my feedback and other things like this (would really like it if this was updated via ebay, but if i would have to manually do it i could settle for that, but it might be more hassle than it is worth. I've seen people who list their items on a website and it redirects them to ebay once they purchase the itemmm, so i know this is at least possible)
  • something i didnt talk about before; I also have a lawn care, auto detailing, computer repair, and just w/e needs done business. I would like to create a calendar and appointment system, so that people going to that section of my site could sign up for a time/job/whatever it applies to. After the information is sent i would get a confirmation email, and the appointment would be listed on a calendar. (again this seems like it would involve some complex back-end code that i dont understand)
Im at school right now, so if this has already been addressed i apologize for wasting your time!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and its been along time since ive been to these forums! good to be back!

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Your going to need to know php and mysql if you want to be able to do this. It is possible to use php to rip content from other sites, so you could collect your friends lists, then you can store the data in mysql, and update it daily or something.

You can redirect with HTML
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com">
But yeah getting that into MySpace might not be allowed.

The other things like the appointment system, and the ebay stuff with need php/mysql too. You might find come scripts already finished that could help you do that.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
could u point me in the direction of a place to start learning?? :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
php.net :whistling:

Edit: http://au.php.net/tut.php <-- beginners guide

Edited by Michael, 14 May 2007 - 05:06 PM.