Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20Mbps internet, only you say yes!

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
This is only meant for Australian members, but every one else can join in too if they want.

Telstra wants to roll out a 24Mbps (up to 50 in some places) broadband network, but the ACCC (a group the impose regulations on Telstra so they don't wipe every one else out) will not allow then to use it as they want too. The ACCC want all other companies to have access to it instantly, preventing Telstra getting back the 4.1 billion it will cost to build.

So every one please use this page to send them an email, and say we want it NOW!

https://www.nowweare...CC/default.aspx

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I disagree

I use Telstra Bigpond as its the only that can offer discounted broadband as they dont allow anybody to use the fibre optic lines which (as it was once a public company and therefore paid with tax dollars) it should. There are alot of competitors who feel that they cannot offer competition as Telstra offers these companies access to the lines at a price that cannot ensure a profit. More companies, lower prices. I currently pay $90 per month for 17mpbs broadband, and they cap it at 10gig which can sometimes last a few days, let alone a month, then its slowed down to 64kbps. Thats very expensive.

The current regulators mainly exist to serve Telstra, and to maintain its monopoly.

Communications Minister Helen Coonan said Telstra's $5.7 billion national broadband plan was anti-competitive, high risk and an admission the telco had not spent enough on its copper network.

The 11th-hour plan - to be jointly funded by the government - "posed a substantial risk that Telstra would have a near monopoly in the market and competition would dwindle", Senator Coonan reportedly told the Sydney Institute.

AAPT/PowerTel, Austar, iiNet, Internode, Macquarie Telecom, Primus, Telarus, TransACT, Unwired and Westnet have launced a G9 alliance that will try to combat for fair competition in the lucrative broadband market.

The g9 proposal is for an average price for access seekers of between $21 and $24. This reflects the cost structure of a range of products from basic access at $15.00 to high speed broadband access at $45

The proposal does not rely on a taxpayer contribution from the Federal Government and would instead be financed through domestic and international equity and debt markets.

http://whirlpool.net.....20to ACCC.pdf

The 11 telcos -- through its lawyers Nicholls Legal -- has also written to Telstra and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) with a list of complaints about various public statements made by Telstra, that the group feels breach the Trade Practices Act due to their claimed misleading nature.

Of particular concern to the group is Telstra's "misrepresentation" of the price of using its broadband infrastructure, Telstra's ability to recover its costs, and the government's ability to direct Telstra where to build infrastructure.

The group of 11 telcos wants Telstra to publish a correction about the matters on its Now We Are Talking Web site and in The Australian newspaper.
I would much rather cheaper internet at 17Mbps than a even more expensive and anti competitive 24Mbps.

Edited by sarahw, 15 May 2007 - 03:45 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
17Mbps ! Your spoiled rotten! We can't even get half a Mb here. Maybe why I like the idea much more than you do :whistling:

Personally I wish Telsta was gov owned, and all the other companies had never been allowed in.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Personally I wish Telsta was gov owned, and all the other companies had never been allowed in.

That makes me cringe :whistling:.