Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Front Jacks On Case Do Not Work

• Please log in to reply

Jimmy2

Jimmy2

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, ive had this pc for a couple of months now and everything has been running smooth. However, i have 2 USB ports, 1 mic port, and 1 headphone port on the front of my case, 1 USB port works but the other 3 ports do not. I bought the case brand new and everything is connected right. I have no idea what would cause this so thats why im here. :whistling: Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,
Jimmy

Advertisements

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Is this a store bought PC or self-constructed? I've gotten store bought machines for my office and the front panel USB ports were never connected to the motherboard. If you built this machine yourself, what brand and model motherboard are you using. Have you consulted the motherboard specs? I know the motherboard I bought for my machine at home had an extra set of pins for extra USB support.

Jimmy2

Jimmy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had it built for me, the motherbaord is a pretty basic model though, its a ASRock K8NF6G-VSTA.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Alright, after doing a little research, it looks like your motherboard will support up to four extra USB 2.0 ports. There are 4 USB pin headers, and the cableing (including audio and mic cables) needs to be connected according to spec's. I've attached a .pdf of your mobo specs. Page 19/44 will show you the pin alignments for front panel USB 2.0 and audio connections. If your computer knowledge is minimal, I might suggest finding someone who could make sure these pin connections are correct for you. Hope this helps.

Well, .pdf exceeded upload size, so here is a link: http://download.asro...K8NF6G-VSTA.pdf

Jimmy2

Jimmy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have the manual right here, just never had a problem with this before so i wasnt sure where to start. I'll see what i can do, thank you for the help!

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yea, I'd start there, see what you can come up with. It's just funny because I just had that same problem not long ago. Opened the case and noticed that whoever built the machines, failed to connect the front panel USB pin connectors.