Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

auto run .vbs script ?

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi
What's the best way to automatically run a *.VBS script other than using task scheduler please?

I have a small script to create System Restore points automatically but I do not want to enable Task Scheduler.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
But System Restore points are created automatically anyway -- every day, and whenever a driver or application is installed. Even if you never install anything, Windows will still create a new SR point (labelled as a "system checkpoint") every day. That all happens without you having to do anything from the moment Windows is installed.

So why the script????? Unless you're running a version of Windows that has no built-in SR and you are using a similar third-party one?

Edited by pip22, 15 May 2007 - 01:01 PM.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
System Restore points are not created automatically on my machine as I have Task Scheduler disabled and wish it to remain that way.
When Task Scheduler was running, although the Task Scheduler folder was empty, my hard drive is permanently working overtime, as though something is continually running - I originally thought it could maybe be Search Indexing. There is nothing 'scheduled' to run, but disabling the Scheduler was the only way to stop this almost continuous hard drive overuse, and it worked.

I am using Win XP SP2.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System Restore is dependent on Task Scheduler to run, for the automated points anyway.

You can get third-party scheduler software which works the same way as Task Scheduler.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
As I thought.
Thank you.