Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet card problem installation

• Please log in to reply

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm having severe problems installing an ethernet card in Windows XP. I have attemtted to do this with 3 different cards to no avail. The slot I'm using is OK as I have just removed my dial-up card to attempt the ethernet card installation. On boot-up, I can plainly see the Ethernet details listed as being in slot 3 IRQ10 so it is recognised at this point. I have checked the hardware listing and it is listed with a yellow ?. In its properties the message is that "The device is not working properly" and under Driver details "No driver files are required or have been loaded". However if I click on Re-install Driver or Update Driver or Launch Troubleshooter - nothing happens. Any ideas what to try next?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would try a different slot. I have known that to work in the past.

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Jaxisland,

I have tried every slot available including the one in which my dial up connection card was fitted. I have re-fitted the dial-up card and it's still working fine! I'm really at a loss as to what to do next.....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Just as something off the cuff here, do you have a windows install disk?

If you do, go to Start - Run
type: sfc/scannow

Hit enter, it will probably prompt for the disk at some point.

Let me know.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you attempted to actually download the driver for the card? go to the manufacturer's website (assuming the card didn't come with an install disk) and download the driver...it will (should) come as an installable application...run that installer and it should install the drivers for the card

Liam Devo

Liam Devo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks jaxisland - unfortunately the kids have used the original windows disk as a frisbee and is unusable now. I will attempt to download a new driver from the manufacturer as per dsenette's advice and let you all know how I get on..fingers crossed...