Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony DVD-RW Drive does not detect Blank CDs

• Please log in to reply

firish

firish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have used many brands of recordable discs, and my drive does not detect them. I always insert a blank CD into it, in an attempt to burn music onto the CD, yet it doesn't register. It gives me the message "Please Insert a Writable CD into Drive E:\". I did not have this problem until a month ago.

In case you missed it, the drive is a Sony HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B.

My comp states that the device is working properly, though clearly it's not.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of software are you using to burn the CDs?

firish

firish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So far I've used SONIC, Windows Media Player, and of course just the comp. The blank CD will not show up at all, I can click on MY COMPUTER, and then look at the E:\ Drive, which displays that there is nothing in my burner, which is untrue. I can put any kind of blank disc in there and it wont register.

corrado16

corrado16

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So far I've used SONIC, Windows Media Player, and of course just the comp. The blank CD will not show up at all, I can click on MY COMPUTER, and then look at the E:\ Drive, which displays that there is nothing in my burner, which is untrue. I can put any kind of blank disc in there and it wont register.

having the same problem

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is it able to read CDs that are already written? Is it only with blank CDs that it doesn't recognize? Are these music or data CD-R?

firish

firish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is a separate drive, and i only use it to burn cd's. So I don't know if it can detect already written cd's but im sure it can. And it can't detect music and data CD-R's.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You shouldn't assume something that is so easy to test out. Please try a already burnt CD in the drive and see if it is able to read it correctly.

firish

firish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope, I tried having it read a burnt disc, and it gives me the same thing as a blank CD (nothing)

proserpine

proserpine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a similair problem with a Sony burner that I recently bought. I found that my problem was the lack of proper software. I was trying to just use the regular windows stuff (Windows Media Player and built in burner software). I recently downloaded a new set of codecs and a new burning program and now everything works fine.

Hope that helps,

-proserpine