Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I transfer HD data from old compter

• Please log in to reply

JRex

JRex

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Want to transfer HD data from old computer that was fried this moring. Bought a case and inserted the HD. Unable to transfer via USB. It's not saying anything is plugged into the USB. Tried my jump drives and they work fine.

I think I might have fried the HD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
How did you fry your computer? Is this an external HDD? Can you hear or feel the drive spinning?

Bought a case and inserted the HD.

Are you refering to an external inclosure or are you saying you put your old hardware into a new case?

If you include some more information it will make it much easier on us to help you. Also complete sentences make it easier to read.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 May 2007 - 08:13 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing is check the jumper settings, for most HD cases you want the jumpers set to Cable Select.

JRex

JRex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi,

I fried the computer with a power surge. Took the computer to a local guy and he stated I fried the motherboard. The computer is 7-10 years old. This was this computers internal HD. So I bought an enclosure. Once I placed it in the enclosure, and tried it, there is no spinning.

The Hd case doesn't have any select. I plugged the Hd, and the power to the board the was mounted in the case.

Since the HD doesn't spin is there a way to remove the data?

Thanks,