Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with cd-rom, will read won't burn

• Please log in to reply

JP101

JP101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi

i need some help with my cpu.....my cd-rom works perfectly fine, if I want to read a cd (play an audio cd) it will play just fine, i can rip it, but when I want to burn it and make a copy......it doesn't work. I get an error that I need to insert a recordable cd. I am using brand new cd-r's, i even tried my dad's cd-r's and my friends cd-r's so i know its not the cd-r's, i even tried using different burner programs such as MYMP3PRO and GET IT ON CD programs, but still to no luck. I use Windows XP, and my preferred choice of burning is Windows Media Player (i use version 10)

could you please help me out.......where do i begin to even know what the problem is?? thanks

jp

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go into control panel > system> Hardware> device manager

Under IDE ATA Controlers for primary and secondary controler. Under advanced Opptions what Mode are you in and what mode is it set to PIO or DMA?

JP101

JP101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
for primary ide: transfer mode is DMA if available
current transfer mode is Ultra DMA mode 5

for secondary ide: transfer mode is PIO only
current transfer mode is PIO mode

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
set your secondary IDE to DMA if it will not set to DMA uninstall the secondary IDE and make sure it sets to DMA.

Test see if that helps.

Efeezy20

Efeezy20

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I thought I jump in on this topic also. I am also having issue's loading blank disc. My IDE's are set to DMA and right now it is still not loading any blank disc for me.

JP101

JP101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i did what you said

i tried to change the secondary ime to DMA (only other option was DMA if available) so i switched to that, but it still said PIO as current transfer mode

so i went ahead and uninstalled it, and let the computer find it again, that worked in it being able to be set up as DMA ultramode 2 for secondary as current transfer mode

i tried to burn a cd again and I still have the same problem.........what else could it be??

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go ahead and uninstall your Primary and secondary IDE controllers and restart that should fix your problem.

You will may need to reinstall your CD Burning Software.

EDIT: SP

Edited by tuxmaster, 19 May 2007 - 04:57 AM.