Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp pro problem

• Please log in to reply

arichards

arichards

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I hope that someone can help me with my problem.
I have a desktop with windows XP Pro. Today when I started xp I received a black screen with the error message"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
I don't have the discs. Can anyone help.I tried to boot, I have downloaded the startup discs from microsoft, i have changed the booting to the cd rom and nothing has happened. The screen always goes back to the same black one and the startup disc doesn't do anything. What else can I do???????????
Meanwhile, I have all my business on this computer.
Thanks,

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:
  • attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
  • del c:\boot.ini
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • fixboot
Now type Exit and take your XP CD out. Your computer will reboot itself.
Let us knowhow things are going now

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

[*]Download RC.ISO from Here.
[*]Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
[*]Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
[*]Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
[*]Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
[*]When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

then follow the instructions above...

Edited by happyrck, 16 May 2007 - 10:52 AM.

arichards

arichards

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for the advice. Is this also good for windows XP Pro? i was able to download the ISO and as it seems it is trying to boot the computer. Unfortunately, now I have another issue. When I select R for repair it gives me this screen:
1:c:\WINDOWS
which windows installations would you like to log onto? {to cancel, press enter}?
But it doesn't let me do anything
If I select install Windows, it give me a warning that it set up cannot find the end user licensing agreement, so the setup cannot continue.

Any suggestions?

I really appreciate your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:

* attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
* del c:\boot.ini
* bootcfg /rebuild
* fixboot

olbo

olbo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi I followed this procedure

I must have missed something cause now when I start up, system asks me which windows I want to boot
first one is blank, and second option is "windows home edition"
Do you know how I could have end up with that and how I can solve that?

Tks

I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:

* attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
* del c:\boot.ini
* bootcfg /rebuild
* fixboot