Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

control alt delete error?

• Please log in to reply

bubbaspark

bubbaspark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

when I hit control alt delete at the desktop the window only opens partially. I use control alt delete to close out several of the programs that run in the background and now I"m unable to do this.

I have followed A L L of the instructions in removing spy ware ad ware and ect. but this has not helped the problem.

Secondly I'm getting a keyboard error upon start up as well but it does not seem to effect the performance of my computer)

Thanks in advance for your help :whistling:

**edit** I just completed the activeScan from Panda and it said I had 3 spyware I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem but here they are:

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Allen family\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1oc9wk45.default\cookies.txt[.atdmt.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Allen family\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1oc9wk45.default\cookies.txt[.advertising.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Allen family\Cookies\allen family@atdmt[1].txt

Edited by bubbaspark, 16 May 2007 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Not sure what you mean about Taskmanager only "partially" opening. Can you post a screenshot? I use Fastone Capture: http://www.download....4-10645361.html Taskmanager can be "held" by the lower right corner and streched to size. Re the keyboard problem: Keyboards do go bad, and are very cheap these days. Might try a Walmart special to see if that is the problem. Doubt that cookies are the cause.

bubbaspark

bubbaspark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Lol well, well, well, the task manager window works now.

About the keyboard. It is a brand new keyboard but I changed my hard drive and have had the error msg ever since I changed it. (the hard drive was new and I'm unsure what the problem is)

The task manager window was a bigger deal, as the keyboard error msg doesn't keep me from using my computer :blink:

Thanks for the insights and I apologize for asking such a silly question (but your suggestions DID work :whistling:

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
USB keyboard?

bubbaspark

bubbaspark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes sir usb keyboard will that make a difference?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Not all USB keyboards are created equal. Mine is much less equal than others. My system will not even boot if the keyboard is plugged in at powerup. Mine came with no driver. If yours has one, I suggest a reinstall. Alternatively, you can do like I do and boot through to your user profile with mouse only, and then plug in the keyboard. Keyboards that plug directly into the P/S2 ports seem to be recognized by the system as native hardware. USB is another whole interface layer.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you press CTRL+ALT+Del and task manager comes up but not fully then your keyboard is working properly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is your computer Slow if so.

We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions things to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

bubbaspark

bubbaspark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well the keyboard issue is a small thing. It does not interfere with any functions, so that is something that I can live with. (i just wondered why I continued to get a keyboard error msg upon start up) It seemed maybe the control alt deleate was minimized and never fully opened. (silly me)

finally in my very FIRST post above I said I followed ALL of the procedures outlined in the how to remove malware .