Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro Sp2 back to XP Home SP1?

• Please log in to reply

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Is there a way to go back to Windows XP Home SP1, when you already have Windows XP Professional SP2?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first question - why are you wanting to do that?

Final answer not without formatting the drive and starting over from scratch

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, my windows xp pro disk says that something is wrong with it and the only one that is working is my Windows XP Home Edition, and I really need to fix my computer. So can you please help me.

Edited by Wescyd3, 16 May 2007 - 02:45 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Let's just go back to the beginning. Apparently you have enough trouble that you are thinking about a fresh or repair install to "fix" it, but your XP Pro CD is damaged. Perhaps your problem can be addressed in another way. Please post back with full details about your system, its configuration including security applications, and the problems you are experiencing, complete with error messages if possible. We will take a look and make suggestions based on our experiences. Sometimes things seem worse than they turn out to be.

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well basically its not on the internet, so I have no security, but I will be going fine in a re-installation and then I get to that part when it says Press ENTER to Install, and it says that the Windows XP Pro disk is damaged. The only reason why I want to do this is because my friend put some Windows on it called SiCo XP and it didn't have install shield on it, and so I needed to fix that, so I got that, and I just want to get rid of it and then I came across this...

---------------------------------------------------------------

You will have to format your hard drive, and install Windows XP Home from Scratch.

Formatting your Hard drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Clean Install:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;316941

Perform a clean install of Windows XP
A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For additional information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313348 How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
After you have backed up all your important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

Make sure you have all the disc for your computer, after install you may have to install drivers for Sound, Monitor, Modem, Etc. By following these steps, it will remove the XP PRO and install XP Home. I suggest you do some reading on this before attempting the formatting and installation of XP. This is another excellent reading site with lots of info.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/index.htm

Hope this Helps You,
Mickey smile.gif
---------------------------------------------------------------
If this will work, please tell me. Also, if it does you should sticky it so people won't ask this question so much, like I have.

Edited by Wescyd3, 17 May 2007 - 04:40 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you have windows XP HOme and a windows XP pro upgrade??

Otherwize some of those instructions don't apply.

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I am CURRENTLY running on Windows XP Pro. I was originally running on Windows XP Home. I would like to go back to Home because a capture card I have bought will only run with Windows Home. The capture card was 500 dollars.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You will have to reinstall windows in order to go back to windows XP home

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, but do I have to Format?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not only will you format, but you will have to update all your drivers and re-install all programs you previously wanted to use.

Ron

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I put the Windows XP Home disk in and install it after I have Foramtted will that put windows and all the drivers on the computer.

Also, I dont care about the programs, I really didn't have any.

Edited by Wescyd3, 17 May 2007 - 06:43 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Only the drivers that are on the CD. You will still need to update drivers to use the latest. After installing XP, try downloading Everest Home Edition and run it. It will give you information of where you may be able to go to get updates.

You will definitely need M$'s updates.

Ron

Wescyd3

Wescyd3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So basically Install Windows XP Home and then run Updates

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would check and see what critical updates you need from M$'s Update site and install those. You can also set your preferences for receiving updates, too. The M$ site will tell you how. How many updates depends if your current Home Edition CD comes with SP1 or 2.

Ron