Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashing

• Please log in to reply

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, i'm trying to help my friend with his computer but i have never seen anything like this. At first the monitor would go black, and the cpu would just crash, sometimes the computer will automatically restart on its own... then i suspected that it might have been a program that was doing it because if i booted it up on safe mode the computer was fine, though i only let it sit for 10 minutes or so. So i deleted two programs that altered the desktop, (added calendars, docks), which seemed to work, everything was fine for about 40 mins, but in that time the computer was being used. However when I let it simply idle, and wasn't using it, the computer started to restart itself again... Has anybody encountered this before, or have any solutions? Anything would be very helpful.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two things to check are video card drivers and temperatures

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Click the + next to computer then sensor for temperatures

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
okay i installed the program and ran it, it is recognizing the video card, its a radeon 7000 series... not the best, but i do have the drivers. Also the motherboard is running at average or 35 degrees C, the CPU at 80C right when it starts up, and it stays around this temp for about 5 or 10 mins then drops down to 60, and the computer shuts off, and the WDC is at 33C. The fans are all running as well... I'm not sure whats going on here, but thanks for the help so far. Also another thing i saw was that when the computer first starts up the cpu usage is a constant 100%, this lasts for 5-10 mins like the temperature, then its drops to 2-3%, then spikes to 30 or 40, then the computer shuts off.

Edited by Alex_Ho, 17 May 2007 - 01:18 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most CPU's will prompt a shutdown at 60C or above, possibly the sensor is wrong. Even if it drops to 55C it is towards the top end

You could re-install the video card drivers and check any fans on the card are running, also clear any dirt from the other fans. If you use compressed air, hold the fan blades so the compressed air doesn't spin them faster than they are designed to

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i actually tried cleaning the fans already, and the video card doesn't have a fan. Theres two fans one for the power source and one for the processor, but both seem to be working fine. If its not the fan and its not the video card, then is it just the processor? Also i don't think the sensor is wrong because it corresponds with the cpu usage indicator under the task manager, the cpu is extremely hot at start up 70-80 degrees C, and the CPU usage is at a constant 100%, then once it drops to about 1-2% usage it cools down to around 50-60 degrees C, but then it shuts off. Anything wrong with the mobo maybe?

Edited by Alex_Ho, 18 May 2007 - 09:28 AM.