A recent power outage shutdown my Windows XP Home SP2 box and when it restarted there was no Desktop or Icons.
Explorer.exe doesn't display in processes.
If I run new task explorer.exe my startment and quick launch icons appears for a milisecond and disappear, explorer.exe is still not listed under processes. If I run iexplore.exe IE appears for a second and then closes. It stay showing if I am logged in under two of my three users, but my main user it never stays running.
- There are no events in the system or application logs.
- I have Avast antivirus updated 5-17-07, a full scan found no virus.
- I ran spyboy search & destory updated 5-17-07, found alexno, or something, and removed it
- Ran Ad-aware 1.6? found some stuff, removed it.
- reinstalled Windows XP SP2, worked, but no improvement
- ran smitrem.exe, waited for cleanmgr.exe, still nothing.
Attached is my current hijackthis log file.
I have read several of the threads on no desktop icon etc, but I never seen a resolution, hopefully this thread will have a resolution, I can not afford to rebuild this box, it has all of my private business information on it. Accouting , Inventory, etc.
Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file.