Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to this Linux stuff

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I've just taken a strong interest in using Linux because I just found out about Linux Live and learned that I didn't have to install a whole new operating system to be able to use it.

I decided to give Puppy a go and downloaded the Puppy 2.14 ISO file. Then I gave myself a headache reading instructions while trying to figure out how to turn that file into a usable CD.

Much to my surprise it wasn't all that hard and I was able to figured out how to get my CD burner to burn it to a CD and was able to make myself a CD without breaking anything or crashing my system.

Now comes my first problem... getting connected to the internet.

I have a Westell DSL modem for connecting to the Internet and I have absolutely no idea how to tell Puppy what to look for or where to look for it. According to the instructions the connection wizard is supposed to have two option buttons, one for Dial-up and another for DSL\Broadband but it doesn't.

It has the dial-up and a couple of other buttons but nothing for DSL so I can't follow the instructions that I'm reading.

Can anyone tell me how to get the web connection thingy set so that I can get to the Internet?

Another point of concern to me is the firewall. Q: Is the firewall in Puppy a two way firewall like ZoneAlarm or a one way firewall like the one in Windows?

Thanks,
Wendy

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Puppy's not the easiest distro to deal with, the one in my sig is, in my opinion, and it has a lot more useful features. It's about as easy to install as win98, and a lot easier to update and install most software on. It also has a very nice desktop.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

Thanks for the comment. OK I'm looking into pclinuxos and downloading the pclinuxos-TR4(2).iso thing right now so that I can make myself a live CD. Is there anything special that I need to do to be able to get connected to the Internet with it or does it kind of help set itself up to do that when I boot from the CD?

Thanks,
Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Hi Tyger,

Thanks for the comment. OK I'm looking into pclinuxos and downloading the pclinuxos-TR4(2).iso thing right now so that I can make myself a live CD. Is there anything special that I need to do to be able to get connected to the Internet with it or does it kind of help set itself up to do that when I boot from the CD?

Thanks,
Wendy

If you have a router in place just use the Ethernet option, which is the default. I understand that the PPPoE isn't working quite yet, so if you're connected directly to a modem put your login info on the modem's configuration page. I've installed it four times and had no problem getting on the web, well one time the Ethernet connector wasn't pushed completely in, but that hardly counts.

Edited by Tyger, 19 May 2007 - 10:57 PM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

OK I downloaded the pclinuxos-TR4(2).iso amd burned it to a CD. I signed on and configured or at least I tried to configure that sucker to make an internet connection.

I haven't gotten it to work as of yet though. I use DSL through my phone company to connect to the Internet with. My modem is provided by the phone company and is a Westell and it isn't listed in the setup anywhere. Neither is the region of the world that I live in... e.g. America, United States or Louisiana.

The OS is picking up my internal modem during setup, how do I tell setup that I have a westell modem too?

How safe am I in trying to install that OS on my system along with Windows XP?

Thanks,
Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Hi Tyger,

OK I downloaded the pclinuxos-TR4(2).iso amd burned it to a CD. I signed on and configured or at least I tried to configure that sucker to make an internet connection.

I haven't gotten it to work as of yet though. I use DSL through my phone company to connect to the Internet with. My modem is provided by the phone company and is a Westell and it isn't listed in the setup anywhere. Neither is the region of the world that I live in... e.g. America, United States or Louisiana.

The OS is picking up my internal modem during setup, how do I tell setup that I have a westell modem too?

How safe am I in trying to install that OS on my system along with Windows XP?

Thanks,
Wendy

Probably the best thing to do is put your login information in the modem's configuration page. The instruction booklet will tell you the address of the page, just type it into the Firefox window and hit Go. For most routers it's

http://192.168.0.1

You should just be able to click that link.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

OK something isn't working for me. First I don't have a router, I have a DSL modem that I connect to the internet with.

When you said --> put your login information in the modem's configuration page. <-- were you in reference to doing that somewhere in the Linux internet connection Wizard as it ran? Because I did find one spot where I had to enter my logon account name and password while I was running the wizard.

Is there anyway to tell that wizard that I have an external modem for DSL so that it will look for it too? It is only detecting the internal dialup modem right now.

I use a proxy server whenever I'm connected to the Internet in Windows but it's not showing up in nix anywhere so I don't know if it's running when I use that OS or not.

Got any more ideas?

Thanks,
Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm almost glad you haven't completed your operations yet, because the final version is now out and you can go to the website and get it to burn to disk. On the modem you have to open Firefox and type in the URL for the modems home page, then go to the configuration page, which may be the same of course, and put your info in there. If you've already installed you just upgrade to the final by reinstalling, using the same partitions and allow it to format sd1 and copy new system files to it. It won't erase any data you have except you would need to reinstall your programs. I realize you haven't gotten that far but some reading this may have. Also the final version corrects some problems with PPPoE. However it's still best to put your info in the router or modem.

BTW you can experiment with your connection using the Live CD without installing, till you get it right.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Just a note: PCLinuxOS 2007 went final today and is available for download. http://distrowatch.com/

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

Thanks for the update. Are you talking about the final version of TR4? Shoot it seems to have vanished from the site that I'd gotten it from. Or maybe I just forgot where I got it from.

I had downloaded the PClinuxOS-TR(2).iso and burned it to a disk so that I had the live CD thing to boot from. No I haven't gone as far as installing it to my disk yet because I wanted to kind of play with it for awhile to see how well it got along with me.

I haven't tried to get Firefox set up yet either but I'll try what you said and see what it does for me.

--> However it's still best to put your info in the router or modem.<-- in my case it is a modem and I still haven't been able to figure out how to get to it in Linux to do that but I'm not giving up yet.

============================

Hi silverbeard,

Thanks for the comment there. I downloaded the 2007 iso thingy and burned it to a CD to see what it looked like and now I think Linux hates me.

I'm using the live CD to boot with it and I can only get as far as getting an error message when I try to boot.

ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem,
Commands were:
losetup /dev /loop0 initrd/cdr/livecd.sqfs
mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop0 initrd/loopfs
Dropping you to a limmited shell.
Loading /initrd/bin/ask

BusyBox v1.1.2 (2006.11.13-04:50+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/initrd/bin/ash" Can't access tty; job control turend off.
$ <-- and the curser is blinking right there.

So is that a bug or is it maybe that I did something wrong? I'm downloading that iso thingy again just incase I got a bad download last time and I'll jive it another go later.

Thanks for the help guys.
Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you burn at a slow speed, I burn at 8x for disks that have critical data. And do you have enough memory. 256 is good figure, but you can get by with 192.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

As far as memory goes, I should have more than enough because I just stuck in a 512 MB memory card and somewhere I saw that my machine was detecting over 700MB of RAM.

I have two cd burners that I use, one is SilentNight Micro Burner and the other is BURNCDCC but I can't find any way to set the speed that they run at.

I deleted the first download of that pclinuxos 07 and downloaded it again, then burned an .iso CD but that didn't help and I got the same error message that I had gotten with the other one.

Is there some command that I can type at the -->$_ prompt that might encourage that sucker to finish loading or have I came across a bug in the download? Hey... where can I find the final release of that TR4 distro?

Thanks,
Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here's where you can download the final release, as you can see it's pretty busy.

http://www.pclinuxos...=...s&Itemid=28

I was having similar problems installing on an older machine and I found that the CD drive was faulty. Swapped the drive and everything went well. That file system is quite large.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger,

Hey thats the 2007, so is that what you're calling the final of the UBCD4-TR(2).iso? I got another CDburner that has a speed selector on it and burned that bugger real slow like on a X-4 but it pretty much did the same thine when I tried to boot with it.

I'm kind of at a lose because everything else that I burn seems to be doing just fine.

Thanks for trying Boo.

Wendy