Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keeps rebooting and 'blacking out'.

• Please log in to reply

DjFonti

DjFonti

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi all. I've been having problems with my PC for a while. The three main problems are as follows....

1) It restarts when it wants

2) It can 'black out', where you can hear the computer still running, but the signal to the screen cuts out (the power-on light on the screen turns to orange to indicate no signal. However, the light has also been known to stay green but the screen is blank, no BSOD's or anything, just an appearance of no signal even though the monitor light is still green). In addition to the screen, the external modem connectivity light can cut out (or stay on depending on the mood), and the keyboard becomes disfunctional (Num lock light goes out) and the keys don't work. All of this usually happens at once. These are just the symptoms, individually they mean nothing but I just listed as it's obvious they're all part of the same problem. I have to press reset and start again, although that takes numerous tries because of the random restarts during reboot, or restarts a couple of minutes after it has fully rebooted, or the 'blacking out' described above occurring during reboot or just after successful reboot.

3) Occasionally, when '2' happens, and I have to reset, at the beginning of the reboot it comes up with an error message of 'BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR' or something similar with some loud bleeps to accompany. THis happens occasionally and not all the time.

Last but not least, I hear a click when it restarts. I only mention this as someone else did on a similar thread on this forum, I don't know whether the click has always been there or whether it started with the problems, and therefore don't know whether it is really relevant.

The thing is, the computer can go a few weeks working perfectly, like it has recently, then play up again.

Once I persevere, and keep resetting, and have the thing up and running (takes plenty of resets) it seems to be fine, but this leads me to have to leave the computer on longer than I need it because I don't want to go through the whole process all over again if I turn it off.

It first started a few months ago, when I was running Windows 98se. I formatted the drive and installed XP Pro sp2, and it worked fine for a while. Then I foolishly decided to install a new graphics card simply because it was slightly less ancient than my current one, and the above problems started again so i put the old card back in but nothing changed. It worked fine again with no problems for a few weeks but has started messing up again this week. So I formatted again and installed XP again but it hasn't made any difference.

Any advice and guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated, as this is really starting to irritate. Thanks for any help..... :whistling:

Edited by DjFonti, 18 May 2007 - 05:04 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI cards have VPU recover which can do this

You could update the video card software and drivers, though check your card is covered by the latest version

Three beeps could be the video card not seated correctly

Press the power button and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults or fail safe defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Cheers Keith, I'll try this and report back.