Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Running XP on SATA

• Please log in to reply

Kat1978

Kat1978

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guys,

I hope you can help me here. I have an 80GB SATA Drive, which I have owned for about 10 mths plus a 160GB SATA, which I just purchased. I have successfully installed XP on the 80GB SATA Drive, which has been partitioned into 22GB and 50GB (roughly). However, the problem I seem to have is that when it goes to boot up and run XP, it gets to the Windows XP Logo, and then the computer reboots itself. I have a P4S800-MX SE Motherboard, P4 2.4Ghz Processor, and 1GB DDR RAM. I have tried almost everything I know, without success. There are three options in the BIOS to enable the SATA controller, those being "disabled" "native" and "raid". I have tried both options of native and raid, and the same thing keeps happening with the computer just continuously rebooting itself.

However, if I reconnect my old IDE drive to the computer, both SATA Drives appear when XP loads up. (and yes, I do disconnect the IDE drive before loading XP on the SATA drive). I can access the SATA drives and see that the SATA Drive has XP loaded on it. I have also tried the repair process during the installation of XP, only for it to re-install the whole OS again.

I also have a backup disc (4.7GB) of a previously installed version of XP, plus all my personal settings, which was done through Nortons Ghost. I tried using this disc, and was successful with my installation, however, once again, the same rebooting problem occurred upon startup.

I hope I have explained myself well enough for you to understand the predicament I am in at the moment. I am really looking forward to some suggestions, as I am all out.

Thanks in advance, Kat

Advertisements