Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen capture

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I'm not sure where to ask this question, but here goes. I have the XP Media edition 2005 on my computer. I have a family tree software program on my computer, and want to be able to capture and print each individual page after I type in the information, so I can use it in a notebook using sheet protectors. (So the layout of the page would have the notebook ring holes at the top of the pages)
You would think the software would allow you to print the page as you see it on your screen, but all I am able to do is print a report of all the dates you have entered, and that is not what I want. I want to print the form exactly as I see it on the screen, after I typed in the dates, etc.

Now my question, does my computer have the built in ability to do this without buying a screen capturing program? I tried the "print screen" button, and nothing happens. Then I googled the question, and tried again with print screen/open paint/paste.....but it said my picture is too big.

I am so disappointed in not being able to use my computer as a typewriter to fill in these family forms. There should be an easy solution, but I cannot find anything that works in any "help" forums I have read.

Any suggestions? Are there any good free screen capture programs I can use to do this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi bettei.

The PRTSCN button takes an image of the entire screen and places it in Window's clipboard. ALT+PRTSCN takes an image of just the active Window and places it on the clipboard.

So, if the screen you want to capture fits on the screen (no scroll bars), you can use ALT-PRTSCN to take the active window. Then you might want to use a freeware Graphics program (like XnView, which I use and love), to crop the image to remove the excess stuff around the top and bottom. XnView has some nice Print options, like print the image stretched or centered, add a watermark, etc.

I'm sure there are many other options available, but this is what I use when I need to take screen prints.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Another one is screenprint 32 which works on 98SE and XP, once installed and started from programmes, you need to do this the first time only, it takes over the print screen key

http://www.provtech....reenprint32.asp

Keith,
I tried all the above things to caputre and print my screen, so I went to this site to download this program. I downloaded it, and saved it to my desktop. But when I open it, it just keeps running me through the set up wizard, then froze up my computer complelely. It started to remove itself. Then after ctl/alt/del...still stalled, so i shut it down. When I started it up again, the removing program window was still there, and not responding.

Now I am afraid to open the icon on my desktop to use it. What could be wrong here?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Nothing happens when I try the print screen, even the alt/prtscreen.
And can you provide a link for the XNview? I tried downloading a program from Sprint 32, and it locked up my computer. I have the icon on my desktop, and when I try to open it to run it, it just keeps trying to install itself again with the instalation wizard. It froze up everything, and I had quite a time restoring my computer. End program froze too.

So now I am a little leery of downloading unless I have a good reccommendation.

I found the xnview site, and it looks like you have to purchase it to use it. That so?

Edited by bettei, 19 May 2007 - 09:17 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/

XnView is freeware.

What type of keyboard do you have? If you have a Microsoft Keyboard that has dual functions for the F keys, you may have to have the F lock on for PRTSCN to function as print screen. We've got those keyboards at the office and I hate them!

When PRTSCN (or ALT-PRTSCN) captures an image, the image is placed on the clipboard. To retrieve it, you must press CTRL-V to paste it into the application you're using. As a test, after press PRTSCN or ALT-PRTSCN, you can open WordPad and press CTRL-V to paste the image from the clipboard. Does this work for you?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the name of the Family Tree Software that you are using?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It is called Family Tree Maker by Ancestry.com. You fill out a page with indivual information, and it's that exact thing I want to print, but an umable to. When you go to file to print, it prints out a history sheet of facts, not what I want.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/

XnView is freeware.

What type of keyboard do you have? If you have a Microsoft Keyboard that has dual functions for the F keys, you may have to have the F lock on for PRTSCN to function as print screen. We've got those keyboards at the office and I hate them!

When PRTSCN (or ALT-PRTSCN) captures an image, the image is placed on the clipboard. To retrieve it, you must press CTRL-V to paste it into the application you're using. As a test, after press PRTSCN or ALT-PRTSCN, you can open WordPad and press CTRL-V to paste the image from the clipboard. Does this work for you?

I did get it to come up that way, but when I try to print it, it is cutting the form off. I want a regular letter sized page going longways across the page, and it wants to print it like a normal letter. I didn't see any edit options where I could turn the page like are in photo programs, etc. If I could tuen it, it might work.
And I have a HP keyboard

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can right click the printscreen32 icon on the desktop and click delete

When you click file, then print, have you got print options so you can try using landscape

Have you installed a screen capture programme yet?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I tried downloading that 32 program you suggested in another thread, but it really messed up my computer for a little bit. Froze it, couldn't end task, couldn't escape it.
I have the icon on my desktop, and when you click on it, it wants to continually install itself with the wizard, then freezes my computer. I have never had that happen before. Now I am afraid to open the icon again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right clicking it will only give you options, not run set up, click delete and confirm

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Right clicking it will only give you options, not run set up, click delete and confirm

If I right click that desktop icon, I will get options like properties, delete, etc. But if I chose delete from there, it just deletes it from my desktop, not the program itself...isn't that correct?
I wonder if I should remove the program and try downloading it again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I thought it hadn't installed, you can check for it in add and remove and use search, including hidden and system files to see if anything shows up in programme files.

Screenshot Captor from my signature runs well, you can choose if it loads with Windows, not essential, and whether it takes over the print screen key, also not essential as it can be operated by right clicking the taskbar icon

If you download it, right clicking the tasbar icon, then preferences lets you set which format the screenshots are saved, and where to