Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive and/or Motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I've had some minor issues lately that have become big issues as of this morning.

The problem started off pretty minor to me. My secondary 40GB hard drive wasn't being found. I figured it had died or there was a loose connection I really didn't care it was old and I really didn't use it. The bios would come up with a message letting me know something was wrong with it (I don't recall what it said exactly) I would skip it and go on about my normal business.

As of this morning I have only gotten it to recognize my primary hard drive twice and boot up into windows. It gives me the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

I find it hard to believe that both my hard drives would die at the same time so I wondered if it was my motherboard in some way. Now while I had the case open I disconnected the 40GB HD and after the computer booted up the two times I spoke about, I closed up the case put it back under the desk and connected everything. I turn it on and I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." message.

I've pulled the computer out again and rechecked connections and everything but it didn't change a thing. I did notice something though, I was listening to the HD and looking at the HD light on the case, it was steadily blinking off and on and the HD was making a .... strange noise, kind of like a partial spinup then stop in sync with the HD light.

I can't think of any other information to add... anyone got some thoughts? (on this issue :whistling:)

Here's a quick copy and paste of my system.

System (optional): Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
1024MB PC3200 RAM
BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GS OC 256MB AGP
Asus P4P800S-X
Prim. Western Digital 200GB HD
Sec. Western Digital 40GB HD
Operating System: Windowx XP Pro SP2

Edited by ADNoland, 19 May 2007 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try booting in safe mode...

Edited by happyrck, 19 May 2007 - 09:45 AM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
The computer never makes it to where windows loads. If I go into the BIOS there is no HD connected it tells me.

Edited by ADNoland, 19 May 2007 - 11:26 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug from wall...make sure all connections are good by unplugging them then reconnecting them..try a different cable...no joy...you could try slaving the drive to a working computer...still no joy..then you have a funeral to attend for the hard drive

Edited by happyrck, 19 May 2007 - 01:53 PM.