Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

geforce4 ti4600 damaged?

• Please log in to reply

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey everyone, I'm in search of some knowledge regarding my g4 ti4600, it seems as of late my graphics card has actually been dropping below 125 frames in quake 3 arena and when I view anything on windows media player I'll get a bleeding effect as if 2 media players were open and playing at the same time.

My main focus is to find out if my graphics card is damaged. I have 2 table top fans blowing inside the actual computer tower at fast rates and I never ever freeze up but my fps has dropped down to 90+ sometimes instead of 125 constant. And these color bleeds are making me wonder.

Ok I actually took the gpu out cleaned it off blew out the fan with some compressed air and plugged it back in. Now I just started up quake 3 and because I'm in the dark I used a flashlight and I went to view the gpu and the cards fan isnt running. Its just sitting there like a lump! Does it only kick in when it needs to? or should it run all the time like the heatsink on my cpu?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by Thomas Aquinas, 19 May 2007 - 10:45 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A GPU fan should always run. Some cards display temperature in the Nvidia control panel. I wouldn't recommend running it until you have installed a new fan.

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok thanks very much

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
also how do I know what to replace? is it just the fan? is that the entire heatsink on it ? kinda confused how to go about replacing this

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
bump