Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bootable disk WITH format.

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Where can I get a bootable disk/cd for windows XP that has format on it? I need to format my drive but can not seem to find my disk with format on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi brettxw!

What OS are you going to be putting back on the hard drive in question? If it's XP or Windows 2000 or Vista, you can create/delete partitions and format the drive during the Setup process. If it's just going to be a backup drive on the computer, then you can go into Disk Management (START-->RUN and type diskmgmt.msc) and delete/create partitions and format it there.

Fenor

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I have XP on now (what im using right now) something is wrong with my internet where I keep having problems with connection. I posted in the network thread but have not gotten any replies. 9 out of 10 times I will get a "CAN NOT FIND SERVER, try again" when using the net. I have to hit "try again" about 30 times before it will actually go to a website. I figure I would just format my harddrive and re-install windows again. Unless you have any better advise which I will def try.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem can be the result of faulty hardware just as it can be of software origin. Please do the following checking your internet connection after every step. As a preliminary step switch off power to your modem for about 5 minutes. Don't make it shorter. Reconnect and let all the indicator lights go on. This can take take 2-3 minutes or so.

1: Download and run winsock for xp (a link in my signature)

2: In Internet Explorer go to Tools > internet options. In Security, Privacy and Advanced set everything to Default Level.

3: Again, in internet options go to Connections and set again the internet connection.

4: In device manager (control panel > system > hardware) expand network Adapters and uninstall the driver (I assume you are using a broadband connection). Restart the computer and let Windows reload the driver. If it doesn't you will have to install the driver from a driver cd (or floppy) or download it from the manufacturer's site.

5: Click Start > run. Type cmd. At the comand prompt type ipconfig > Enter. Type ping and then the numbers of default gateway. Type exactly as shown. Keep one space between "ping" and the numbers. You will get 4 lines in which connectivity is tested. Please report "time".

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hey guys, thanks for your help! I figured out the problem. I just had to stop stressing and think. The house has wireless and the router was located next to the microwave. I was then noticing (today) that when the microwave was on was when I would encounter the problems. I moved the router away from the microwave into another room and all is well. Kind of made me feel stupid. I thank you guys though for your help. Much appreciated.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you figured it out! :whistling:

Fenor