Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device Problems

• Please log in to reply

Kyuui

Kyuui

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My whole problem started about five and a half hours ago. Innocently enough, my scroll feature on my mouse stopped working. Utterly and completely stopped working. The mouse still worked, but no scrolling allowed for little ol' me. Well, I thought, why not reboot? Weird stuff happens on occastion, surely a reboot will help it.

Reboot stopped at "Invalid boot.ini file."

Ok, that sucked. So I ran my XP CD through, rebuilt the boot.ini and restarted the computer.

Wow, the things it did for my computer. It's the first time "Windows (default)" has worked in three years. But my joy ended about ten minutes later when an annoying popup in the bottom right hand corner started popping up. It's problem? "USB Device Not Recognized" it keeps telling me. The window reads as such:

-USB Root Hub
Unused Port
Unknown USB Device
Visioneer 9120 Scanner
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port

So I've looked up this and that over the internet and everyone who has this problem knew what they'd just installed that was causing the problem. I didn't install anything. I haven't installed anything since my printer back in Feb. And that works just fine.

I thought it was the SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (the New Hardware bubble popped up saying that was a problem). But I told it to install that and my USB problem still didn't go away.

My question is: What should I do? I have no clue what's causing all this and I have no clue how to fix it.

Thanks for you time,
Kyuui

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is currently plugged into your USB ports?

Kyuui

Kyuui

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If I'm guessing the USB ports are what I think they are: Just the scanner and the printer. (Both of which work perfectly fine. I've even had the computer print and scan something since this happened just to make sure they worked still.)

I'm hoping the internet peice isn't one because even if it were I couldn't remove it from my comp's hardrive without disassembling it.

Edited by Kyuui, 20 May 2007 - 11:00 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you been religious in using the Safely Remove Hardware wizard? It sounds like you may have some "ghost hardware" that hasn't been removed and it's drivers are still loaded.