Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner XP and sound problems

• Please log in to reply

HalfJax

HalfJax

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I downloaded CD Burner XP and when I started to install it there was a note that said"If you are going to use the WMA format and don't have Windows Media Player 9 installed, you also need to download the Microsoft Windows Media Format 9.0 Update, and run it before the installation."

Since I have WMP 11 I cancelled the installation and searched the CD Burner XP forums for anything concerning that and Windows Media Player version 11.

What I found was a reference to WMP 10 and what it said was that they believed that there would be no need to install wmfdist.exe for WMP 10. I naturally assumed that WMP 11 would be safe in that regard as well. I then installed CD Burner XP and when I restarted my computer, there was some serious degrading on the startup music that is played. Sounded like a really bad record skipping and scratching and with the speakers cutting in and out.

I burned off a DVD to test out the program then decided that I should try and fix the sound problem.

I then uninstalled CD Burner XP and again restarted my computer. The little startup sound was back to normal but pretty much all my other sounds were still bad. Anything I listen to from .wav to .mp3 has a very noticeable stutter as if the file is having problems buffering and my games are completely screwy. Some have sound during the logo splashes and no sound during gameplay and others have no sound what-so-ever.

I have downloaded wmfdist.exe but have not installed it for fear of causing more problems.

I have run dxdiag and when I test the sound I don’t even get a single sound on any of the tests, neither sound nor music.

I don’t know what all other information you would need to help with this problem so if I need to give more please let me know.

I, as always, appreciate any help that you have and will give.

Thank you
HalfJax

Advertisements

HalfJax

HalfJax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
First off, I hope that I posted this whole thing in the right forum and apologize if it's not... I assumed this is the right spot since it deals with CD Burner XP and the problem it caused.

Second... an update on what more info I have...

On my wifes user account on the computer she is able to complete the dxdiag tests for sound and music with no problems. However she has the same sound problems (skipping, jumping, silence) with games, videos, and music files. She is able to play system sounds but thats pretty much it.

I have been doing some tests and troubleshooting on my own to see what there is to see... This is what I've come up with...

I'm an idiot. :whistling: :blink:

My card is SoundMAX Digital Integrated Audio

I've checked the device manager. Nothing out of the ordinary there. All my sound drivers are current and there are no conflicts or disabled devices anywhere.

I've tested a few different music and video files and they all petty much do the same things. Stutter a bit in the beginning then freeze or speed up/slowdown with no sound. If I click play again, it will start fine and run thru most of the file with no problems and then stutter and/or skip ahead and continue to the end. If i play it again, then it has just a few stutterings.

I've used the self tests for the soundboard and they have no problem at all.

My dxdiag tests... Sounds are now playing, but there is no music playing on the music tests.

I have removed one of my games and re-installed it to see if that might work and the sound played for just a bit then stuttered and cut out completely. Game play is normal just no sound at all. When I exit the game however there is a small pop over the speakers but it does not occur every time.

One thing I have noticed recently (in the last couple hours) is that even the tiniest command, click, whatever I do, is creating a huge CPU usage spike, close to 100% every time and it hangs there for a few seconds before dropping down to its normal ranges. I'll be running spy-ware and virus checks after I get done posting this...

The only other thing I have installed after CD Burner XP was Burn4Free. While testing out Burn4Free my AVG Anti-Spyware program popped up and said there was a spyware called burnfree.dll. I quarantined it and then removed Burn4Free. The sound problems started immediately after installing CD Burner XP though.

I'm really confused about this since, to me, it's acting like the sound buffer isn't... well... buffering properly, but I don't know where to even begin to look for something like that.

I am hoping that this is something that can be fixed easily. I just need someone to point me in the right direction on why this is happening and what tools there are to fix it.

Again, if more info is needed, just tell me what it is, and how to get it and I'll post as soon as possible. I will also post my spyware and virus checks if anything was found.

Again, thanks for any help...
HalfJax

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

HalfJax

HalfJax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for replying

I went there a bit ago and am currently in the middle of fixing everything. As of now, the sound and video problems are gone due to going back to a previous restore point. Once everything is all worked out with the malware/viruses then I will post also in here that either everything is ok or if there are anymore problems.

Again, thanks for the response.
HalfJax