Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleted mouse registry keys

• Please log in to reply

tibed

tibed

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. I'll try and be as clear as I can on this.. I don't really know what I'm doing but I hope someone can help.

Well I had 2 different mice play up on me (they'd start going nuts loading and moving files and other things etc).

I looked for a cause for this on the net and was told it was because of old registry values that hadn't been deleted...

Basically, what happened was I thought I'd backed up the registry, but I hadn't done it right. I deleted the mouse registry values and now I have no mouse pointer and can't install or use any mouse.

What I want to know is, can I somehow get the missing registry values, like just to get the pointer back?

I'm using the onscreen mouse thing (left shift, alt and number lock) which is much better than nothing, but I can't play games with it! Btw I didn't have system restore turned on and my pc never came with a recovery disc. My os is windows xp pro.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have the xp installation disk insert it into the drive. Go to Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and OK. The computer will look for corrupted or missing system files and will fix them. Let the process run to the end. when it finishes the dialog box just disappears.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have a installation disc. I bought the pc 2nd hand with xp pro already installed. I can get updates from windows update so I'm guessing it's an official copy though.

Thanks.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
When you say you backed up the Registry entries, but you didn't do it right, do you mean:

A) You have no backup files,
or
B) The backup files that you do have will not restore?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to borrow a disk of the same version. For example if you have on your computer XP home edition+sp2 try to borrow a similar disk.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
What happened was I thought I was backing up the whole registry, but I only backed up 1 folder, being an idiot. Then I deleted other folders and so I couldn't undo the mistakes I made.

Right I'll see if I can borrow a copy from someone. Thanks a lot for helping guys.

(or could I get someone to just send me the registry entries I need for xp pro? Just to get the mouse pointer back and so I can install another mouse. Would that also work?)

Edited by tibed, 22 May 2007 - 05:30 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried a system restore. System restore keeps a backup of parts of the registry maybe you might get lucky.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Come on guys...let's take a minute to really read the initial post. It's been clearly stated that tibed has no installation cd and System Restore was disabled.

That being said, tibed...do you remember exactly what registry key(s) you deleted? We may be able to rebuild that portion of the registry or at least enough of it to get your mouse working again.

wannabe1

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I deleted everything that was under 'mouse' out of frustration and also out of being a bit drunk. But no worrys guys. I have to say this forum is a godsend and you guys do a great job helping people.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I haven't been able to borrow a copy of XP Pro. Could one of you guys give me the required entries for the registry?

Advertisements

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is that a no then? :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The regestry is something that we tippicly do not touch.

You configuation may require diffrent keys then ours does. So it would be hard to provide you with the egzact regestry keys that you need.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Nooooooooooo!!! ok well thanks for explaining mate.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'll give a bit more info and try 1 more time.

I need the registry entries for the mouse pointer. Not for any specific make of mouse, just to get a pointer on-screen, so I can install/use any mouse. If it messes up my pc I don't care, I want to try anyway.

When using the on-screen keyboard operated mouse I have a mouse pointer icon, but if I turn the on-screen mouse off, the pointer disapears. I have XP Pro.

Can anyone help? I really want to play Deus Ex! :whistling:

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Check Marc Liron's instructions for running "scannow" from the i386 folder: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html