Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer one OS to another tower

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Is it possible/legal for me to take my Media Center 2005 XP and tranfer it to another tower with a different OS?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Depends is it a OEM if so no. If it is a retail copy of MCE then yes however it can only run on one computer at a time. Anotherwords you will have to wipe the Computers Drive. Just to be safe when you install read the EULA from Microsoft there is a secton there about it.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
OEM...MCE?
I might just wait for Ubuntu to arrive...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I apologize I should not use actonyms OEM stands for Origional Equipment Manufacture MCE stands for Midea center Edition.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
thanks....I've decided to use Ubuntu on the second one to avoid any legal issues/installation problems...I don't have an installation CD...all I have is the i386 folder...anyway, thanks