Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply fails?

• Please log in to reply

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
mmm well comp has been on for a long time today and no shut down, i didn't do it myself, was done by a professional shop, i have 2-3 i think >.<leaning towards 2

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug from the wall...look inside and see if there is a layer of dust on the fan blades or the fins of the heatsink...clean with q-tips ...some case's have mesh filters in the front of the case to keep out pet hair lint ect ...remove and clean if you have one..
let me know how may fans you have and their locations...

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok cleaned it all out again, wasn't much dust etc at all really, i have 1 fan at the bottom front of the tower, one at the middle back and theres one on either side of a little box (where the power cable goes in) at the top back part of the tower, all quite clean

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the one I'm concerned with is the CPU fan and heatsink...should be in the middle of the mobo...make sure the fins on the heatsink don't have any junk between them...
you have all the fans you need ...

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yeah heatsink use'd to be full of dust (about 6-7 months ago) since then i've keep it relativly clean. thers still a bit in there i can't really get at though but nothing signifigant.

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
god problem hit really hard last night :whistling:

could it just be the power supply or somthing? thats what my friend seems to think, he said he had a new power unit or sominth that goes in the tower, that he could try replacing with my current one... could that help?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...try swapping the PSU...it should be equal to or greater Watts than the one you have though...

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yep as i thought, replaced it and not had any problems since, thanks for your help and support

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad you goy it working.... :whistling: