Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen flicker/ resolution

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i have windows xp... 1 gig of ram... viewsonic 19 inch widescreen monitor
celeron 2.2
hp 515n
everything is stock on the pc, except the ram

i have the resolution set to 1440 by 900 pixels and if i look very closely at the screen, i can see waves in a vertical direction.....if i wait for a while, it becomes more worse and more visible to the human eye

if i change the resolution, it gives a notice saying for best resolution quality, change it back to the 1440 by 900. This means that i need a better graphics/ video card right? I really do not want to buy another graphics card. Is there something else i can do to eliminate this.

Thank you

Advertisements

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
It is suggesting that resolution because that is the native resolution of your LCD monitor.

Changing your video card would not matter in that regard.

As for the wavy thing, make sure your advanced display properties have your monitor set for 60hz, this, I beleive, is the proper setting for just about all LCD panels. To do that right click an empty part of your desktop, choose settings, choose advanced, choose monitor, set refresh to 60hz

Aside from that make sure your monitor is not close to things with an EM field like big speakers or a TV set.