Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problems

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I'm having trouble booting into FC6 on my laptop which I have newly installed FC6 on. Previously I had had Ubuntu x64 6.06 LTS and prior to that Sabayon Linux. Now, all three of these distros have installed fine from what I have witnessed but they don't boot into strangely. Upon turning on, after post I get a completely black screen except a white "_" in the top left corner which continously flashes.

The hard drive I have in my laptop is a S-ATA drive, so I've tried plugging it into my PC and running it from a Virtual Machine (by VMWare Software) and it boots. I'm having trouble understanding why Windows XP MCE, and Vista both booted on it before I wiped them? I have formatted the HD countless numbers of times during the installation of the Linux distros but I'm still having a problem. For those who need to know, the laptop is a CyberPower Gamer Xplorer-90 (which is a custom version of the MSI M677).

http://global.msi.co...;maincat_no=135

That is the laptop above for those interested. Any help is much appreciated and any further steps you could possibly advise would be brilliant. To be honest I am not a novice user at all and it's not often I come across a problem I am unable to solve. If there is anyone who can help with this particular problem, don't be afraid to use the big long words, I won't be confused!

Thanks in advance,

Sam :whistling:

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It's been over a week now... Any help is greatly appreciated. Still stuck with the problem guys!

Thanks in advance!

UBER

UBER

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Seems like you may have a problem with the Disc drive. Did you get an error message booting up before this screen came started appearing? Did it say somthing along the lines of "system error, please insert the system disc"?

Edited by UBER, 19 June 2007 - 11:02 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When I'm replacing one operating system with another I usually just write the drive to zeros with DBAN or Killdisk, whichever works on the machine in question. It removes everything and makes a completely fresh start, so you don't have any little hidden files lurking on the disk.