Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Hard Drive Virus Thing. Help?

• Please log in to reply

Flamewolf2009

Flamewolf2009

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How is it possible that if NTFS is the only choice I have to format to, that my drive is FAT32?

Is it a virus? Help?

Posted Image

Edited by Flamewolf2009, 23 May 2007 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP will only offer you FAT32 if the drive is smaller than 32Gb in size. Anything bigger will be NTFS only.
It is possible to format a drive bigger than 32Gb in FAT32 if utilities such as Partition Magic and what not have been used to set up the partitions. XP will format FAT32 bigger than 32Gb during setup if that's what you want, but that's as far as it goes.

Flamewolf2009

Flamewolf2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
But if anything bigger than 32GB would be NTFS than why isn't mine NTFS? I have 455GB Total o_o.

Edited by Flamewolf2009, 24 May 2007 - 01:55 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

XP will format FAT32 bigger than 32Gb during setup if that's what you want, but that's as far as it goes.

read what neil said...during windows setup you can format a drive bigger than 32 GB as fat32..but not once you're in windows...windows ITSELF will not format a drive larger than 32GB as fat32