Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up, screen freezes, I hear crackling poping sounds thro

• Please log in to reply

uptownskateshop

uptownskateshop

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For the pass month or so my Graphic card (9800 xt) has been giving me problems (I hope its my graphics card), they include

* - Freezing up while I'm playing a game ONLY

* - When frozen, graphical glitches occur

* - When frozen, weird sounds flood my headset, similar to a taxi dispatcher. :whistling:

* - Triggered a VPU recovery, which I turned off later

So I decided to open my computer and take a look at it and clean it.

I put it back in place, closed the case up, attached the monitor and power cords

and now there is no signal, and my mother board chimes a retarded sequence of beeps I never heard before.

__

I was just curious if I need to replace my graphics card, or perhaps it may be something else

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The beeps are usually the result of a problem in the ram or in the video card. Open the computer and recheck that all the cables are well secured. Recheck that the ram modules are sitting well secured in the slots. Do the same with the video card. If still no good move the monitor connection to the onboard video connection (if you have one).

uptownskateshop

uptownskateshop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well according to http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm, the beeps I get indicate some kind of graphical error (Award Bios).

I checked everything, seems like it all in place, ram, processor.

I decided to troubleshoot some more so I took out my 9800 from my Ibuypower and placed it in my sony vaio and it worked perfectly. After placing it in my vaio I thought it was possible that the card was the problem and it fixed its self, nope, I rechecked it and it still didn't work :blink:.

It seems like my motherboard/agp slot is broken so i guess I should move on but in order to do so I Wil lappreciate it if someone can answer these few questions

Is there anyway to salvage data that is on the Hard drive?

If I buy a new motherboard, the exact same one, is it possible just to plug in my hard drive and it will work like nothing happen or will I need to reformat?

If I take my hard drive out and replace it with the one that is in my vaio, will my computer explode? :whistling:

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help :help:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: You can easilly salavage the data by rigging the HD as a slave to another computer. Alternatively, if you have an old pci video card you can insert it into one of the slots and reboot. You may get very low resolution and colour definition but that shouldn't bother you because you only use it for backuping.

2: If you buy a motherboard which is identical to the older board, up to the version number, you should, theoratically, succed to connect the HD and run the computer. If you do not succeed then you still don't have to format, you can perform a repair installation of xp as described in the link in my signature. Personally I am not in love with this process but many use it.

3: Computers don't explode too easilly. If you mean that some physical damage may occur then you don't have to worry about that.