Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not working

• Please log in to reply

drodgers

drodgers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S331 and the cd/dvd drive is not working. I have tried a number of different options such as downloading the drives and performing sytem restore and nothing has worked. I took the cd drive out and put it into two other Toshibas and it worked just fine. My next thought was to reformat the hard drive since the cd drive doesn't work I used an external dvd drive and this did not work. Please help I don't know what else to do!

Advertisements

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Does the computer recognize when the CD drive is connected or react in any way when you attach it, or does it merely lack the ability to read/burn discs?

-TheQuij

drodgers

drodgers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I go to 'my computer' it does show up on the list that there is a CD drive. When I put a disk in the drive it makes the noises like it is trying to read it, but then after a minute or so a message will pop up saying to insert a disk.

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
In checking if it works, have you been using more than one CD/DVD? You could possibly reinstall the device and see what happens after that.

Also, are the other Toshibas that you used identical to the first?

-TheQuij