Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need new video or graphics card. any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hey i just installed half life and it said my hardware doesnt meet minimum requirements, and said to update my video drivers, but they are up to date, so any suggestions on a new video card or graphics card? do i need both? if not, what one do i need, and what do both of them do? would it help getting new card of both of them?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
can you give me your system specs and budget. Does your motherboard have AGP or PCI-e slots.
James

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
about that... yea... is there some program i can run and it just tells you everything, i dont really know, this was a computer i bought from tv, not name brand, but it has a lot of different stuff.. i dont really know anything about its hardware, sorry. budget? idk give me the best out of the 50-100 dollar range and the recomended for best deal or something, what you think is best, i really dont know much about hardware, im more of a software geek.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yea... about that... well i dont really know much about the hardware of my computer, i bought it on tv and it has a lot of different stuff, no name brand computer, but i think this is what i have

Mainboard L4S5MG3

Chipset SiS IDE 3

Video SiS Unified

Sound sis_7012

Processor Pentium 4 2.66 GHz w/ 533 MHz Front Side Bus

HD 120GB

Memory 512DDR

so yea, price range, give me the one that is the best deal, and the best one for 50-100 dollar range.. thanks alot

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Though I don't recommend updating such an outdated system this is the card I recommend for your budget and system.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161053
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 May 2007 - 08:25 PM.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
wow, is my system really outdated? what would u suggest to do, look into a new computer, or to go with a new card? any suggestions on new computers with great gaming abilities, and great for regular work also? is a graphics card and a video card the same thing?

Edited by Better_Than_Justin, 25 May 2007 - 10:54 AM.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yo, if you could find the best deal on a good card on ebay for me i would buy it, i just dont know what compatible and whats a good price so...

this would REALLY GREATLY be appreciated, because i dont even know what to look for.. i really dont know how to tell if something would be compatible or not. thanks alot guys!

Edited by Better_Than_Justin, 25 May 2007 - 07:20 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'll never recommend a hardware purchase on ebay.
If you want a card to do what you want get the one that I have already suggested.
Yes your computer is that old, I said this because when you upgrade further down the road any purchases you make now will not be compatible with the new computer you buy down the road. It's you call in the end. But if you want me to be honest, your not going to be playing any game that come out in the foreseeable future never mind further down the road.
James

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hey, im just going to buy a card at bestbuy so i can get it today, do you know which of these would be compatible,

http://www.bestbuy.c...d...rp=15&iht=n

i dont know what would be compatible, but im looking at the ATI graphics cards, mainly the 2 that are 104.99, but if it would be a significant differance, then i might bump up the price a little bit.

thanks alot

i need an agp card right? will any agp card work with my computer?

Edited by Better_Than_Justin, 26 May 2007 - 12:39 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes there is a significant difference from the one I suggest and those.
BustBuy over prices video cards.
Here is the same card at bestbuy for 100$ more.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1166235562418
I strongly recommend that you buy online or at a smaller chain.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 May 2007 - 02:04 PM.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hey thanks alot james. i went with the one u suggested, and it works great, you were a great help. the only reason i wanted to purchase from bestbuy is because it has same day pickup. but yea i baught it from newegg and its perfect, again thanks alot!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade to hear it!
Yeah I understand, I like things the day of as well, but once you begin to talk about a 100$ difference I can wait awhile :whistling: unless it's very urgent case, most are the same.
James